Finished -- whew!

Old September 8th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default Finished -- whew!

In article %RkEi.433$282.88@trnddc01,
Taria wrote:

Now this note of yours is interesting Butterfly. I was just thinking
when I saw the closeup that this is a quilt I would beg for. Here
you are stealing my idea. LOL

WOnderful work Sandy. The close up photo really helps to see what
amazing detail went into the piece. Glad you finished it. Great
work!
TAria

Thanks, Taria! You never beg -- I'm flattered!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 8th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Kate G." wrote:

I think it should decorate MY dining room... after all.... I like
butterflies ALMOST as much as I LOVE hummingbirds! :-ppp :-)

You all would be welcome for dinner anytime.... potluck style! ducking

--
Kate in MI

Kate, thanks! I don't get to Michigan very often (ever?) ....

Old September 8th 07, 01:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Mystified One" wrote:

Stunning! You deserve some bragging rights to say the least!!

I noticed your Pam Holland greenhouse. I have one that's a WIP, if I can
ever find which box I left it in before the move!

Thanks! And *do* finish that gazebo/greenhouse! It's fun to do -- and
it washes like a dream. G

Old September 8th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article YojEi.73076$Xa3.32123@attbi_s22,
"KJ" wrote:

The quilting is beautiful Sandy! I took a class from Joan a while ago and
found sewing on those petals to be a real.....b****...I mean bear! I
thought you were supposed to be able to wash those petals! Are your fingers
burned to a crisp after recurling all of that? I found that as I heated one
petal up...I was smashing another one down!
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...53918257MBOaAR And I
didn't have a 10th as many petals as you did! Wow! Congratulations...it
really is beautiful. Did you send a picture to Joan? She is a hoot isn't
she?

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Thanks, Kathyl! No, I haven't sent one yet -- I wanted to let a little
time go by so I wouldn't sound grumpy. G Yes, I thought they were
supposed to be washable, too -- I'm very disappointed. I'll be anxious
to hear whether Joan says I've done something wrong.

I love your quilt! Yes, my fingers also took a beating (to say the
least) on this quilt. :S

Old September 8th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon

On Sep 7, 6:23 pm, Sandy wrote:
I don't plan ever to make another quilt with this technique. :S I loved
the pattern, but I didn't like making it, and I detest what happens to
it when it's washed! Here's the background: I took a class from Joan
Shay (Petal Play person) at camp in 2006. She's a real kick -- lots of
fun -- and her patterns are really pretty. It's just not my thing. We
made a hummingbird quilt, where the flowers and leaves and every
individual feather on the bird were all separately made and then sewn
onto the quilt top. That was bad enough. But they all have to be sewn on
*before* quilting, since the stitches have to go through to the back
because of the thickness of the pieces. Anyway, I finally quilting this
thing and finished binding and labeling it today. As usual, I threw it
into the washer on a gentle cycle, and that's when things went from bad
to worse. When I took it out of the dryer, all of the leaves and
feathers and petals were all scrunched into wads and had to be
individually pressed and re-curled. Yuck. Not my idea of fun.

Oh well. At least it's done! I'm hoping one of my DDs wants it. G I've
posted it at http://www.sandymike.net/applique.html#Hummingbird_Quilt,
along with a link to Joan Shay's site. Her patterns really are pretty.
sigh

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sw.foster1 (at) gmail (dot) com (remove/change the obvious)http://www.sandymike.net

Wow - that is really beautiful. I swear that little hummingbird is
looking right at me saying how much he'd love to live with me. :-))
You deserve applause, my dear girl, for the patience it must've taken
to do all those little bits.

Sharon (N.B.)

Old September 8th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I don't care WHAT you went through to achieve that beautiful quilt. It just
takes my breath away. It makes me want to just sit here and think "ahhhh,
wow!". It is absolutely wonderful. Gold stars, extra points, blue ribbons
and Best of Show. Guard it with your life. Polly

Old September 8th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Uh-oh, Sandy. Just got this from her website-

By the way, these quilts can go in to the washer and dryer. They will not
lose their shape or curl if bonded properly.

Leslie (ducking and hobbling off quick as I can on this new hip! LOL) &
The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 8th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Sandy-

What would happen if you used a dab of permanent fabric glue instead of
sewing each piece in place? If you used HnB Lite, could you FM over the
individual bits to hold them down as you added each layer? Just
thinking....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old September 8th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Well, at least we weren't imagining it. But I don't think I'll try washing
mine after Sandy's outcome. And I don't know what could have been done
improperly if Sandy got the petals/feathers to curl in the first place. I
doubt she'll try it again to test if she bonded properly this time!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old September 8th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote:

Sandy-

What would happen if you used a dab of permanent fabric glue instead of
sewing each piece in place? If you used HnB Lite, could you FM over the
individual bits to hold them down as you added each layer? Just
thinking....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Hmmm ... permanent fabric glue, huh? That does sound promising! The HnB
was the Ultra -- I'm not sure a SM could get through that stuff. :S

Whew! (Mostly OT) Sandy Quilting 1 April 10th 07 03:15 PM
OT...Whew maryd Quilting 1 July 31st 05 01:16 PM
OT - whew what a day! Sharon Harper Quilting 9 July 28th 05 01:38 PM
WHEW maryd Quilting 8 April 27th 05 04:04 PM
Finished! Whew~ handmaiden Quilting 3 February 4th 05 06:51 AM