FYI: comments made here may be elsewhere

Old January 30th 04, 12:17 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Default FYI: comments made here may be elsewhere

I just did an ego search at Google. I started out looking for a
particular designer, then thought, what the heck.

Anyway, I found out that there are a couple places gathering posts made
here on some topics: Stay at Home Moms, Education, Health Care Careers,
to name three.

I don't take back anything I said, but you all might want to remember
this should you post in the future. It's not just being archived at
Google, it's being used as fodder for other interested parties. :-)

Dianne

Old January 30th 04, 01:35 AM
Jenn Liace

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:17:01 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

I don't take back anything I said, but you all might want to remember
this should you post in the future. It's not just being archived at
Google, it's being used as fodder for other interested parties. :-)

Do you mean that posts are being re-routed to places where they werent
intended by the computers or that people here (lurkers or active
posters) are copying our posts from here and re-posting them
elsewhere? Just wondering.

Jenn L.
http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
http://sewu9corn.blogspot.com
Current projects:
Lady Scarlet's Journey (Just Nan)
Simply Sensational January Calendar (Mill Hill)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old January 30th 04, 02:09 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Jenn Liace wrote:

Do you mean that posts are being re-routed to places where they werent
intended by the computers or that people here (lurkers or active
posters) are copying our posts from here and re-posting them
elsewhere? Just wondering.

Posts are being re-used - on sites compiling information on topics of
interest. They strip the e-mail addresses of the posters.

If anyone has posted on, i.e. Stay at Home Moms: do an ego search on
your name and you'll see where it's going.

Here's an example:
http://www.teaching-info.com/teachin...msg29562.shtml

Old January 30th 04, 09:16 PM
Darla

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:09:28 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

o an ego search on
your name and you'll see where it's going.

In eight pages I've found references to:
dirty stories about Darla on alt-sex something or other;
Buffy and Angel;
some soap opera;
and some kind of music or sound related hardware.

I do know that my Lorri Birmingham "Cup of Tea" corrections /
discrepanies list showed up completely uncredited on the 1-2-3 Message
boards a few weeks back. But I'll be durned iffen I'm going to spend
the afternoon chasing down more references to "Darla" among Usenet
newsgroups.
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old January 30th 04, 11:07 PM
KDLark

o an ego search on
your name and you'll see where it's going.

I did that once, vain creature that I am. Found a lot of stuff on the sci-fi
fan fiction I used to write -- but I didn't re-visit.

Katrina L.
Old January 31st 04, 02:21 PM
Ellice

On 1/30/04 9:34 AM,"animaux" posted:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:09:28 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
opined:

Jenn Liace wrote:

Do you mean that posts are being re-routed to places where they werent
intended by the computers or that people here (lurkers or active
posters) are copying our posts from here and re-posting them
elsewhere? Just wondering.

Posts are being re-used - on sites compiling information on topics of
interest. They strip the e-mail addresses of the posters.

*snip*
I have unsubscribed to at least 4 groups in the last week. Nothing was on
topic, and when it was, the detractors were so invasive it was unreasonable.

So, I may stay around here, but it's not feeling safe any more.

Well, don't just give in. You have your address munged - that's worth
something.

We had a bizarre incident, in which a man that both DH & I know was using my
maiden name, and former e-mail address to post (as his cover) to some Usenet
groups. DH found it doing the google check on ourselves one day - checking
groups and there were all these postings. The funny part - I was away at a
conference, and not hooked up electronically, at all.

Some of the stuff was just strange, some a bit vile - and all were to groups
I would never have anything to do with (Disney, the Beatles, the Monkees,
Baltimore & MD gov't discussions - amongst others). The most bizarre were
discussions about somebody being gay, or very opinionated arguments about
stuff even stupider than RCTN's infamous "banned from the garden" war.

With a little effort we were able to track down the guy's actual ISP, and
complained to them thru their abuse channel. Since he was masquerading as
me, using my full maiden name - it also brought up an Identity Theft issue -
a criminal act in Virginia (the feds don't care to much about little ones).

We'd figured out that this guy, who was for quite a while a hockey ref
(albeit not a very good one), but had been in some trouble for poor
performance had finally snapped. He's a quirky, odd, guy - I'm sure older
than DH & I, can be very opinionated, and on the ice call everything, or
nothing. Not actually a very good skater (we have high standards, believe it
or not). Anyhow, this guy - after having had some incidents reported is back
in good graces - sort of - and skates a Tier I game with DH. The guy is
doing a terrible job, I think it's kids like 13 yr olds. DH ends up calling
a hit from behind - which is right by the guy, but he's ignoring it (kid
spends 5 min down on ice, is injured, carried off but no ambulance) -
assessing a game misconduct. This guy tells DH not to call in front of him
or some such. Then as the game progresses and he's got his back to play, etc
- DH tells him at a hand-off to just do his job. Evidently at some hand-off
DH slams puck into his hand - the guy stomps off the ice - mid-game. When he
shows back up (DH is soloing for several minutes) he tells DH that he was
going to 1 - Call the cops and claim assault & 2 - thought his hand was
broken and showed it to some observing parents. Result of this stupidity -
they both got disciplined - though DH's was only because the other fool was
being disciplined more severely - as in suspended totally for a month (DH
just from some specific games til he got an evaluation again). Net result
-for this nutcase - this was the proverbial straw, and he was ultimately
asked to resign from officiating - which he did. We all felt a little sorry
for him - thinking that his wife had thrown him out in September - this
incident happened in mid-December - and he's a temperamental guy.

So, now, the web-stuff - well, literally the day after the incident on the
ice - these articles start. I never use my full name on the net. And, the
address used was my old address from nearly a year prior. But, anyone who
had the roster of officials (not available to the general public, but to
registered officials in the local association only) could have gotten my
full name, etc. It's very strange. Not that it was threatening to me, but
here this fool is presenting himself as me, writing these vile and stupid
things - and somebody could look up on the net and see them, and think it
was me - having some schizoid fit.

It cleared up for a while, after complaining to his use-net, newsgroup
provider - but we have to check again. Having all these lawyer friends,
everyone is happy to pull something together and take it to the local DA,
police. Amazing. But, as you can see - I haven't quite given up Usenet.
Almost - but not quite.

ellice

Old January 31st 04, 04:24 PM
Bungadora

With regards to the site Diane referenced, well, at least they aren't charging.
After all, everything we post is in the public domain, and we should be
conscious of that. We aren't in a safe little hut talking. It would have been
nice if they took out last names though. And it's rather rude to just repost
without asking.

As to your incident, Ellice, it doesn't take very much for some people to
embark on a program of 'vengence'. Back in the days before internet, and no
call display it used to be via telephone. I had a roommate in my university
days who confessed (to my horror) she had been making harassing phone calls to
someone from her high school days just because the harassee had not
acknowledged her when they passed on the street. Very petty stuff, but it was
enough for her to make a series of 'hang-up' and rude phone calls. And internet
is the same way. Look at the things people get upset about here. Stuff that
wouldn't otherwise be worth the time of day. Some people sulk, some walk away,
and some will barrage the offender with spam and rants.

Isn't the way some people use technology grand?
Dora

Ellice

Old January 31st 04, 04:50 PM
Jeri

"Bungadora" wrote in message

With regards to the site Diane referenced, well, at least they aren't
charging. After all, everything we post is in the public domain, and
we should be conscious of that.

snip

Actually this is a myth.
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Anyone who has had what they've posted to Usenet used without their
permission has the right to request it be removed immediately.
--
Jeri

Old January 31st 04, 05:13 PM
Bungadora

"Jeri"

Actually this is a myth.
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Anyone who has had what they've posted to Usenet used without their
permission has the right to request it be removed immediately.
--

good to know
(cat on other arm 1 hand typing)