New Machine

Old July 9th 12, 02:27 AM
luvtoquilt luvtoquilt is offline
Junior Member

Default New Machine

Hello everyone, I just joined the chat room. I am looking to buy a new sewing machine. I want one under $1000 and I will be using it for quilting but would like a nice selection of creative stiches for embellishments. I have been looking at the Janome 4120QDC. What should I be looking for? Feedback will be appreciated. Thanks,
Old July 9th 12, 08:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

The most important thing is not just to look at all that is offered, but
to actually settle down and try the machines out. If you are perfectly
happy with the first one you try, that's fine; but do try another - it
might suit you better. One idea for your test is to take with you
fabrics of different composition and thickness; and, also, a three-part
sandwich of your own - using what you usually use for batting. Shops
will usually have these, but they might well have been assembled to show
the machines off to their best advantage (sorry if that is a bit
sceptical).
I have had a Janome 6500 for several years now and I love it - so I am
not suggesting you shouldn't go for a Janome.
What has made the most difference for me is the larger harp that the
Janome 6500, and its successors, has. I don't know the 4120 without
looking it up, but I suspect it has the 7.5" harp. I don't know whether
any of the larger harp machines would be available under $1000? Might
be, I just don't know current prices, in the US or, indeed, here in the
UK.

Moreover, do not rule out getting a refurbished machine - from a
reputable dealer, with a guarantee/warranty. You might get more of what
you want.
..
In message , luvtoquilt
writes

--
luvtoquilt

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old July 9th 12, 12:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Pat's advice is spot on. Especially the bit about taking some of your
own fabric. The stuff they use for shop demos is very often cheap (low
thread count) and starched to paper stiffness. IOW, anybody could
stitch on it with any size needle, even a dull needle, using just
about any kind of thread. Not a fair test! If you want to sew jeans or
delicate silks, take those fabrics to test.

And here's a plug for my favorite, the Pfaff: integrated dual feed! I
love it!

Once you decide which machine suits you, but before you commit to
buying it, is a good time to bargain. Ask if they'll throw in a bag of
extra bobbins or give you a discount on some of the "optional" feet
you'll want. Pfaff has a quilting package with a big free-motion foot
and a quarter-inch foot, for example. And make sure you have a chance
to try those types of feet for yourself on all the machines you test
drive. Another thing to bargain for, if you want one, is the acrylic
extension table. Worth having IMO even if you own a sewing table with
a hydraulic lift -I use mine as an improvised light table with a
fluorescent strip underneath.
Roberta in D

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 08:16:17 +0100, Pat S
wrote:

[...]

.
In message , luvtoquilt
writes

Old July 9th 12, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 02:27:09 +0100, luvtoquilt wrote:

Hello everyone, I just joined the chat room. I am looking to buy a new
sewing machine. I want one under $1000 and I will be using it for
quilting but would like a nice selection of creative stiches for
embellishments. I have been looking at the Janome 4120QDC. What should
I be looking for? Feedback will be appreciated. Thanks,

I think Janome and Juki generally offer the best value for the price.
(fwiw, I did a survey of sewing machines for a friend's book a couple of
years ago, and sewed on most of the models then available from the major
manufacturers.)

I just bought a Juki F-600 this spring (I primarily sew garments) and
am really impressed with the feed system of the machine. And I really like
the LED lights. I can even sew black on black at night again.
http://www.jukihome.com/products/exceed_f600.html
http://www.jukihome.com/downloads/manuals/HZL-F.pdf

Kay

Old July 9th 12, 11:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

If you buy a Janome please do it from a really good, trustworthy dealer
that is in a stable business. Janome, the company itself was no help
with my machine when it had a problem and the shop I purchased it
from had gone under. Most of their machines are pretty well designed and
made so not too many folks have to deal with their poor remediation
but if you do you might be miserable. Just my experience.

I like having the larger harp since I MQ my own work. I learned the
tough way I don't like computerized machines. There are few that
are mechanical anymore but that is what I prefer. With the computer
machines expect a shorter life span and more time in the shop for
basic routine care.
Taria

Old July 10th 12, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I have a Babylock with a larger harp which I love, but one thing I don't
think I could do without anymore is the knee-lift! It's like having a third
hand!!

--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu

Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
janome machine tension control broken + quilting machine suggestions Frank & Renee Quilting 1 May 22nd 05 09:49 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Marketplace 0 December 14th 03 05:52 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Quilting 0 December 14th 03 05:52 PM
Sewingtrader Ebay auctions - Machine Embroidery and Machine Knititng items. DS Sewing 3 July 25th 03 05:17 PM