REAL bubbles in kiln glass

Old September 24th 03, 10:13 PM
Dieter Hager

Default REAL bubbles in kiln glass

Can anyone tell me how to achieve large bubbles, placed in
predetermined spots in kiln fired glass? (using two layers of glass)

Thanks, Deet
Old September 25th 03, 02:56 AM
nJb

Dieter Hager wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to achieve large bubbles, placed in
predetermined spots in kiln fired glass? (using two layers of glass)

Thanks, Deet

Not sure what you call large. Place a clear chip between the layers
where you want the bubbles. Watch at your top temp so the bubbles don't
break or get too near the surface.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old September 25th 03, 10:30 PM
Mike Firth

The traditional way of making bubbles is baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
It can be used with molten glass. The amount of gas and therefore the size
of the bubble depends on the amount of soda and in this situation clearly
the size of the bubble depends on how much gas leaks out during the
relatively slow heating process. You will have to experiment.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old September 27th 03, 10:07 PM
Dieter Hager

"nJb" wrote in message
Dieter Hager wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to achieve large bubbles, placed in
predetermined spots in kiln fired glass? (using two layers of glass)

Thanks, Deet

Not sure what you call large. Place a clear chip between the layers
where you want the bubbles. Watch at your top temp so the bubbles don't
break or get too near the surface.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/

Thanks Mike and Jack for your suggestions!

Using baking soda between two layers of glass, how do I go about it?
Would I mix it with a bit of water? I am not blowing glass, itīs kiln-worked.

Deet
Old September 28th 03, 04:07 AM
nJb

"nJb" wrote in message
Dieter Hager wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to achieve large bubbles, placed in
predetermined spots in kiln fired glass? (using two layers of glass)

Thanks, Deet

Not sure what you call large. Place a clear chip between the layers
where you want the bubbles. Watch at your top temp so the bubbles don't
break or get too near the surface.
--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/

Thanks Mike and Jack for your suggestions!

Using baking soda between two layers of glass, how do I go about it?
Would I mix it with a bit of water? I am not blowing glass, itīs kiln-worked.

Deet

Do some tests with a tiny dab of baking soda and see what happens. You
could make a solution, put a drop where you want a bubble. let it dry
before putting the top layer on. If the bubble is too small/large use a
more concentrated solution or more drops, allowing drying time between
drops. I've heard there are bubble compounds available but they
shouldn't be necessary.

How about if we somehow give you the bubbles that I don't want in my
projects.

Old September 28th 03, 04:16 PM
Mike Firth

I like that last idea - "Now opening - the Bubble Exchange - lookup your
bubbles by category (actual sized bubbles by diameter and height coming
soon. List your own bubbles - all bubbles must be transportable, any
bubbles made of biodegradable soap or other transient substances will be
deleted automatically."