Cleaning leaded panels

Old September 12th 03, 10:40 PM
G^2

Default Cleaning leaded panels

Does anyone have any creative methods of cleaning leaded panels after
soldering and before putty? (large panels, not ones that can go in the
sink)

How clean is clean enough?

Any long term problems with zinc chloride flux residue?

Regards,
G^2

Old September 13th 03, 08:28 AM
Elizabeth in UK

If you use oldfashioned tallow for a flux you dont have to do anything
to clean/neutralise before cementing a leaded panel
Elizabeth in UK
http://www.stainedglass.co.uk

Old September 14th 03, 03:56 PM
vic

"Michele Blank" wrote in message ...
would that work on copper foil? Anyone know where to get some to try in the
US, SE?

Not so good on foil. A US manufacturer is L.B. Allen, 606 West

Blackman St.,Harvard, Ill. 60033

847-540-1500

Tallow works best after it has aged out of the container for a few
months.
Old September 18th 03, 07:55 PM
G^2

Thanks Elizabeth.
I have used it before, but I like the zinc cl. better because it is a bit
more active on the oxidation. I am by no means an expert with the tallow;
perhaps there is a trick or two that make it perform better?

Thanks,
G^2

Old September 19th 03, 09:09 AM
Elizabeth in UK

"G^2" wrote in message ...
Thanks Elizabeth.
I have used it before, but I like the zinc cl. better because it is a bit
more active on the oxidation. I am by no means an expert with the tallow;
perhaps there is a trick or two that make it perform better?

No special tricks to using tallow stick on lead came projects - just
make sure the lead joints are clean before you rub it on. One more
reason we have for using the nice clean Stillemans brand of lead came!
Also only apply it where you want the solder to be!
Old September 20th 03, 01:04 PM
vic

I have used tallow for all my lead work for over 20 years now. I NEVER
clean the came first, even if it's been in the shop for years. I also
use it for all retoration/repair work. There I scrape the lead till I
get clean metal. Clean up is with a wire brush. Fast, clean, easy.
Old September 20th 03, 02:13 PM
Elizabeth in UK

G^2 wrote:
How are you cleaning your lead prior to solder when using the tallow?

In any case, I guess there are no new ideas for cleaning up ZnCl flux...

We dont actually do anything to the lead before applying the tallow
and soldering. Even oldish (couple of years old) Stillemans if kept
in its case and covered over with their packing paper is clean enough
to use as is.
We only use zch flux for copper foiled pieces and use an ammonia (I
guess from the smell) based cleaner with water to clean up.