Adhesives

Old January 10th 04, 09:47 PM
Sally Minnesota

Default Adhesives

I have a cupboard full of adhesives and usually end up
using double stick tape for my projects. How about you?
What's your favorite adhesive? And why?
--
Snow removal required before sending email.
Old January 10th 04, 10:09 PM
Cecelia Medbery

What's your favorite adhesive? And why?

Tombow Mono-Adhesive. It is convenient, easy-to-use and can be used for
just about anything.

Cecelia

Old January 10th 04, 10:23 PM
Connie Kendall

I love to use my Xyron for gluing stuff. I have the 850, the 5 inch and the
little X. I find using these makes a lot less mess for me.

--
Connie K
Pages done for this month=

Old January 11th 04, 11:20 AM
Pat Kight

Sally Minnesota wrote:
I have a cupboard full of adhesives and usually end up
using double stick tape for my projects. How about you?
What's your favorite adhesive? And why?

Depends entirely on the project. I'm a big fan of using the right adhesive
for the job. I use Yes! paste for book projects, for instance, because it's
archival and sticks flat without the paper buckling. I use 3M spray
adhesive when I'm doing cards and other quick projects that don't need to
last forever. PVC glue for collage, glue dots for some sorts of
embellishments, etc., etc., etc.

--
Pat Kight

Old January 19th 04, 11:47 AM
Jo

just wondering Pat, how do you spread your YES glue ? I have some and make
quite a mess when I try to use it. And I must put too much as it buckles a
bit, vbg.

Hugs from France,
Joanne

Old January 19th 04, 11:50 AM
Jo

My favourite is hermafix glue dot dispenser for cards. I use the non
permanent one. It means if I get it wrong I can still move things on my card
and I can even rub the dots off the paper just using my fingers.

I have the xyron, but being in France and having to buy cartridges overseas
means they get very expensive for me, so am always scared of using them. If
I need a stronger hold I use double sided tape.

Hugs from France,
Joanne

Old January 19th 04, 09:40 PM
Pat Kight

Jo wrote:

just wondering Pat, how do you spread your YES glue ? I have some and make
quite a mess when I try to use it. And I must put too much as it buckles a
bit, vbg.

Yes, it's a bit on the thick side, isn't it?

I use a flexible metal cake-frosting spatula (one of many kitchen
implements that have found their way to my studio) like this one:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B1FA21D17

Lay the work face-down on a piece of waxed paper or scrap, trowel a dab of
YES paste on the back, and then use the spatula to spread the paste in an
even layer over the work, the thinner the better.

--
Pat Kight

Old January 23rd 04, 03:24 PM
Cheryl

Isn't it amazing how our kitchen stuff keeps disappearing into the
stamp/craft room? I also use my stiff acrylic spatulas to spread the YES.
It really holds well. Once, I also used a putty knife borrowed from my
husband's storage cabinet. Just wondering what other uses for kitchen or
common household items we all may have found useful in the stamp room?
Please share.
TIA
Cheryl

Old January 23rd 04, 03:48 PM
Artemis

Wait until you discover that makeup "tools" (grooming kits) and eye shadow
goes a long way in the crafting world to. :-)

ARTEMIS
http://www.xenaholic.com

Old January 23rd 04, 05:18 PM
cbet

At a liquidator store, I picked up some plastic things that are supposed to
be used to put Bondo on car bodies - 3 different sizes from about the size
of a credit card up to about 5x7, thinner on one edge (kind of like an ice
scraper would be). Paid a dollar for them, husband laughed and laughed (was
I planning to start doing body work on our old station wagon, perhaps?)

I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have used these for spreading
glue thin & even. Because they are flexible plastic, you can let the glue or
whatever dry on them, and then you just flex them back & forth and it flakes
right back off. And I got the last laugh - shortly after I bought these,
hubby appropriated the largest one for some putty work he was doing!

--
Cheryl in Wisconsin