Ethical question about quilt shows

Old October 24th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

When I entered a small WH in my guild's show, my
'artist's statement' included the information "... a
Cindi Edgerton pattern. I added asymmetrical borders."
I did not note the specific pattern name, nor did I
list every modification. I think that would be boring
to the reader. If a person wanted more information, she
or he could contact me or Cindi. In other words, I
think credit should be given, but not chapter and
verse. JMO.
PAT in VA/USA

Debra wrote:

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:28:17 -0500, Julia in MN
wrote:

I think it depends on the rules of the show. Our local show is not a
judged show, so rules are probably more lax than in a judged show and I
would find a quilt from a kit to be more acceptable. It seems like the
"kit-builder" should be given some credit. Of course, you could end up
with quite a list of credits: "Pattern designed by A, fabrics selected
by B, piecing and/or applique done by C, quilted by D".

That is exactly how the list of credits should be written on the quilt
ID card at shows. It should also mention the specific name of the
purchased pattern(s) used and if any additions or modifications were
made to the patterns. If it is an original pattern it should list
that.

I'm not likely to ever buy a quilt kit myself for those same reasons.
Even when I use a pattern, I change things a little.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old October 24th 07, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

You need to raise the cotton, girl!!
PAT, sending Hugs from Virginia

teleflora wrote:

Wow! I didn't know that. Guess I'm back to being "not a real quilter"
again.

...............cut........
I just don't get when I will be considered a real quilter. Maybe if I hand
dye the fabric I've woven on a loom, made up a brand new pattern, hand
pieced and hand quilted the thing, that will be good enough.

Cindy

Old October 25th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

I never took offense at one single thing, Sunny. It's all in my mind,
dontcha know?

Cindy

"Sunny" wrote in message
ups.com...
Cindy, I never, ever meant to imply that anybody, regardless of
whether or not they sewed kits, was a "real" quilter or not. I am in
awe of the quilt that won the ribbons at our show. There is no way in
heck that I could have put it together. The thing is technically as
close to perfect as I expect to see. She did a magnificant job.

I think kits are a great way to sew. As for the coordinated charm
packs, I'm definitely an addict.

You are as real a quilter as can be found anywhere. And nobody should
be saying or implying otherwise.

The question was only if those entering competition should indicate
that the entry was from a kit. In our show, the quilter gets separate
billing every time.

Now, if I ever get rich, rich, rich, I will hire someone with intense
skills to come to my house, take my fabric, look at what I want to do
with it and t hen they will cut it for me. I am such a klutz. I bobble
and nudge and put awful things into those poor little pieces meant to
be sewn into blocks.

So, peace to all good quilters, whether ye be quilters of kits or be
quilters of non kits.......sleep well tonight under thine warm quilts.

Sunny

Old October 25th 07, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

Polly, I'm in my room right now trying to re-arrange all my fabric and find
room to store it. It all looks the same. It's pretty, but if I want to
make something, I have to go buy coordinating fabric.

I'm not color blind or anything, I just don't know what looks good
together. There are quilts that I just adore, but to make one myself, I'd
either have to copy it exactly or someone else gets to choose the fabric.

I'm fine with solids, it's prints that I have such a terrible time with.

And I wasn't whining about not being a quilter. I'm whining because I can't
pick fabrics.

Cindy

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Golly, Cindy. This question just became a whole lot more complicated than
I realized. For sure, I should have stayed out of it.
It seems to me that you are missing a lot of the joy of quilting if you
can not choose your colors and fabrics . . . but what do I know?
If someone said to me 'you can be a quilter only if you use these
colors and fabrics' there's just no telling how I would react. I 'd
probably get in a real huff. I might take their colors and fabrics and
poke them up their nose.
With that said, it just never crossed my dim old mind that there were
quilters who were color/fabric challenged meaning choosing was impossible
or difficult. Oh my, how I would love to take you shopping. I'll just
bet that I could move you from "I can't choose" to "How many can we get
in your car?". Polly (my car will hold at least a bathtub full)

"teleflora" wrote in message
Wow! I didn't know that. Guess I'm back to being "not a real quilter"
again.

I am paralyzed by fabric choices. I am color-challenged when it comes to
more than 3 fabrics. If I had to wait till I made a decision, I'd never
sew a stitch. And the sewing is the favorite part for me. But I do make
sure people know that my little quilt sometimes come from kits. I also
use coordinated charm squares for many of my mini's. Would that be
considered cheating as well? What about the kits that are made up of
particular fabric lines. I see lots of quilts made from only Moda or RJR
collections.

Old October 25th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

If (when) I win the lottery, I'm getting a great big airplane and picking
everybody up and we're going to Paducah or Houston. And Polly will lead us.

Cindy

"Taria" wrote in message
Sometimes I just like to sew. No thinking or fussing but just sit and
sew. Those are times for little creativity and that is ok. Most times
I try to work out of my stash. That can be a real challenge. Not always
does everything look great but it always is all mine ; )
Sometimes I like to finish old quilts that someone may have started
and not been able to finish. That sort of feels like community service
sometimes. I always have enjoyed sewing and have more time than many
folks so doing it all is ok for me. I think there is room for all of it.
I don't too much worry about shows and ribbons. I just am not
competitive.
Your being a real quilter is in your mind Cindy. Whatever you want to
make it will be. There may be talk of no quilt police but there are a
variety of quilters with different opinions. That will never change.
I have to say a day shopping with Polly would be a true joy. If I win
the lotto and she is willing I am going for it. LOL
TAria

Old October 25th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
I am a tiny bit bitter here- when the fabric store where I taught closed
up, I sold all my class samples. One 'lady' bought a log cabin quilt top
that was my original design, then she had it machine quilted and entered
it- in HER name- in a fairly large regional show and won a blue ribbon.
She did not acknowledge that I made the top, but she did acknowledge the
machine quilter. She did nothing but spend the money to BUY a top and BUY
the quilting. Now, how can she be called a quilter? That is where I
really, really draw the line!

That happened to a friend of mine! Same thing. The lady even sent Mary a
picture of the quilt with the ribbon hanging on it! Never mentioned her
name. What gall!

So real quilters really do use kits sometimes? It's not just us color
challenged peoples?

Cindy

Old October 25th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

And would the quilt then have to be put in the "group" category?

I just found out what that means - this year. I would be embarrassed to
admit that outside this room.

Cindy I always thought a "group" got together and made a quilt.

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
et...
But then she had help, and it's not a real quilt. ;-)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"Meandering" wrote in message
oups.com...
No, Kathy, I am going to grow it for her. Do you want to comb it
out? Who would like to spin it???

We are the group.

Piece,

Marsha

Old October 25th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Pati C." wrote in message

That does not make them less a quilter, just a quilter who concentrates on
other skills. G

I'm known as a "really good piecer".

Cindy

Old October 25th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Debra" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:56:47 -0500, "teleflora"
wrote:

Wow! I didn't know that. Guess I'm back to being "not a real quilter"
again.

snip
Cindy

Oh, no you don't! There is no such thing as an unreal quilter. You've
been here longer than I have and I have plenty of tips saved that you
wrote. Face it--you're a quilter and it's too late to change your
mind.
Debra in VA

And I've got all the mis-matched fabric to prove it. I have tons
(literally) of beautiful fabric, to die for expensive fabric. And not one
single piece goes with any other.

Cindy

QUILT SHOWS MoragP Quilting 25 October 12th 04 04:41 PM
question need to raise table for shows roxan Beads 16 February 20th 04 04:59 PM
Survey question about quilt shows Natalie Quilting 35 February 13th 04 05:25 PM
Ethical Question -- Connie Fox BeckiBead Beads 20 November 30th 03 03:50 AM
Ethical Question on Beads Maeven Beads 17 September 25th 03 02:51 AM