Question for the designers out there

Old January 7th 04, 08:51 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Question for the designers out there

Ok - you've had your inspiration, where do you go next? The basic outline
(sans the fine detail), to the computer and your software, directly to
needle and fabric or to paper and pencil. How about using specialty stitches
- when do you make that decision?

I have an inspiration from an architectural detail for a border or a band in
a sampler. I've sketched in on graph paper and think I have a rough idea
about colors.

So where do I go from here?

Cheryl

Old January 7th 04, 10:03 PM
vlerk

Like Mirjam said, put the main colors of floss on your fabric for a couple
of days. Look at it from some distance a few times a day, live with it.
Watch your mood. Suddenly, at the supermarket or hairdresser, you will know
what color to add or replace.

You already sketched the border. Does it have a certain aspect that asks for
different treatment? That could be a special stitch. Stitch a little sample
to check colors and to try different stitches.
You are making a sampler, if you are want to use this ornament for other
elements, think of using the ornament in a different size, maybe as a
blockshape.
Or maybe the ornament contains a certain wave or line that you can put on
your graph paper and (back-) stitch it.

Have a good time,
Grea

"Cheryl Isaak" schreef in bericht

Old January 7th 04, 10:09 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Good points. Thank you!
I'm not sure if this a border or a motif or the start of a sampler yet. But
I do think I know it's first use.

Cheryl

Old January 7th 04, 10:09 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

If you are not sure about the colors , take out the floss bundles and
lay them on the sketch and let that lay there for a day or two ,,,,
mirjam

Old January 8th 04, 05:57 PM
Ellice

Good advice. For color stuff, personally, I either do a quick watercolor
sketch, or use watercolor pencils. Essentially I do a better sketch in color
with some media (for me, it's a painting, or crayon or pencil). But, that's
because most of my sketches are by hand. If it's on the computer, as in
Illustrator, then I play with colors there.

I pick threads after doing colors. There is so much available in floss,
wool, silk, perle cotton - that it seems possible to match close to any
color. It may shift somewhat from my original vision, but that's that. I
think for cross-stitch most designers have thread cards and can use those
for basic reference. I have rings of thread samples, or cards, from some
suppliers. Sometimes it might just strike me looking at some thread that I
really want to use it, and then work from that (happens with some overdyes).
Then I play with threads on the canvas or linen to see what I like. I agree
with Mirjam - sometimes, just let them be there for a day or two (like
picking paint for the walls).

Specialty stitches - I look at what the design is, and where I'd want to add
texture, or a special effect, and what stitch might add that extra
dimension. Maybe doodle a couple of stitches, see how they look to you, and
then add them in where you see them fitting your design. For things like
this, I find that the series of "Stitches for Effect, More Stitches..., &
Even More Stitches" by Beth Robertson and Suzanne Howeren are awesome. They
have good diagrams, and lots of information about using them, and threads.
Also, the Thread Thesaurus - by them along with Ann Caswell - a fantastic
reference. In addition, on the ANG website there is a stitch of the month
link, which has great stitches with information about them.

Hope that helps. Just my way. Everyone has their own.

ellice

On 1/7/04 5:09 PM,"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" posted:

Old January 8th 04, 11:11 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Now Cheryl second and next step you laid your colors , hopefully chose
the matched ones , now think what Texture you want on each part ,Rough
? smooth?? etc,,,, What stiches will `touch` you as TELLING The part
of the story in this particular part of the work ??? close your eyes ,
imagine the colors as music , each color a tune of one instrument
...they should play a tune , a concert , as harmonious intheir colors
and textures as you and only you can produce and hear.... try it
imagine it taste it ,,, mirjam