What Quilt Scares You?

Old November 2nd 03, 07:06 PM
Dr. Quilter

I only take a couple a year due to time constraints, but I select them
carefully and enjoy them thoroughly! DH thinks I should do it more often
because they put me in a very good mood....

melinda wrote:

Dr. Quilter wrote:

aplique scared me until I took a class. I take classes to learn
techniques, not to make quilts that I could do at home on my own. Eg.
aplique, how to deal with the bias tape, machine quilting. Now I need
one on how to piece curves. Trust me, take a class with a good teacher
and it will all come together fast! )

Just got to find them, not very well advertised around here!

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old November 3rd 03, 02:56 PM
Elena

Hey if you don't want those, just send them along! I promise to give them a
nice home. They'll get to wander all over my place. I'm so tempted to try
for Queen of the Small Print, as many as I have.

Elena, whose title, "Countess Sassy Mouth" somehow stuck. I can't imagine
why.

"TerriLee in WA" wrote in message
OK, you can help me design the next one. I have to use the dark & light
tiny floral prints, and need to get them in order. Maybe a Margarootle
would help me like them better.

--
TerriLee Bishop in WA (state) USA
Virtual Gypsy

frood wrote:

OK, here's what we'll do. I'll mix the Margarootles, and you pull out

all
the fabric. I'll dive in and start flinging stuff around, you have a

drink.
Then, you play with what I pulled out, see if anything sparks, and I'll

have
a drink. Then, we'll work together on the design wall, playing with the
ideas, and we'll both have a drink.

Then, we'll find somebody sober to take a picture of it, and to write

down
our incoherent babblings about what we're doing. Next, we'll tuck you in
bed, pack up all your stash in my bag, and they can drive me home.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

"Elena" wrote in message
Hmm scare me? Nothing quilty.

Intimidate me for awhile.. surely.
Probably an art quilt where I was told to just.. do what I feel.
I'd probably go for a margarita. Blank slates challenge me. Toooo

many
possibilitiesss... brain overload... smoke.. error error

non-sequiter..
your
facts are uncorrelated...

Elena, winding down.

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in

knots
think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be and what

about
it
makes you tremble?
Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me

worried.
In
the book I have there are a couple of examples of color ways given.

hate
all of them. But they do point out the importance of picking good
contrast
and coordinating patterns. This would be the best time to use a

scanner
take the diagram of the quilt to be able to preview fabrics in it.

Its
on
my
to do list, right under long nap.
Ok..spill... lets see if there are lots of people intimidated by the

same
quilts.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old November 3rd 03, 02:56 PM
Pat in Virginia

This is exactly why I take classes too Marissa. Sometimes the
technique is new to me and other times I am familiar with the
method but need more hands on instruction. Next week Cynthia
England is coming to our guild. She will give two lectures (one
at each chapter) and two full day classes where the goal is to
start a full size quilt, plus she will teach a half day work shop
in Design. I am enrolled in the Design Work shop. (So is Hanne!
.... I finally get to take a class with a RCTQ buddy!) So I will
expand my horizons about Design, but not have to hustle to finish
a project. I am really trying to NOT create anymore UFO.
PAT in VA/USA

Old November 4th 03, 12:17 AM
TerriLee in WA

I still have to figure out what to use for the centers, too. Too much
looking at the tiny flowers makes me dizzy, so I can't do it for very
long. Maybe a wolf or eagle print, fussy-cut, as this DSonIL is Native
American? I don't know about wolves & flowers though. I wonder how the
traditional solid red would look?

--
TerriLee Bishop in WA (state) USA - not making much progress
Virtual Gypsy

frood wrote:

My DD#1's quilt is a half-log cabin done in florals. Do you know how hard it
is to find a bunch of different light florals, plus dark florals, not too
sophisticated, not too cartoony, not too big? Well, if you're doing a floral
log cabin, I guess you do! The hardest part for me was finding the perfect
center square. I found a stripe print at Wal-Mart that had stripes of
strawberries, alternating with stripes of watering cans. I had to buy 2
yards to get enough watering cans for all the blocks!

OK, the end result was worth it. I had a few strips of a dark floral with
gnomes, and some lights with rabbits in the flowers, and one with a fairy.
DD still loves hunting for those special ones, and swears the fairy one
changes places.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"TerriLee in WA" wrote in message
That's about the way I feel about them, too. Sigh! However one of my
DSonIL's wants a log cabin, florals on whites for the lights and florals
on blacks for the darks. (Don't ask me why, I don't know. He just says
thats what a quilt should look like.) I have 6 of each, all washed and
ready to cut, and everytime I look at them, I go get another glass of
wine. VBG But I really do love the DSonIL, so eventually, I'll just
grit my teeth and jump in. It'll never get done if I don't start, huh?

And you can stay over, the daybed has nice warm flannel sheets and a
quilt on it. grin