Old January 20th 04, 12:09 AM
Karen C - California

In article , DeliciousTruffles
writes:

Looks like I'm saving these threads for naught, then.

We never save anything for naught.

Until my last cleaning/charity binge, I had miles of unmarked threads from
kits. When I picked up a freebie chart, I'd use those. If I picked up a chart
that only required a few inches of yellow thread for flower centers, I'd use
those, rather than have to buy a whole skein. I used them for my doodle
cloths, and to teach novices their first stitches. I used the longer pieces to
make twisted cording for Christmas ornaments. Where I had plenty, I tied them
together and knit Barbie clothes.

Finally needed to make some room in the floss cabinet, so I bundled them all up
with instructions for Friendship Bracelets and shipped them off to a charity
that gives Women In Transition self-esteem through arts and crafts (and sales
thereof). They're not working from charts with DMC numbers -- they're
freehanding, and to them green is green.

If you know someone into papermaking or clay sculpting, they can put bits of
floss in for color. There's always chopping them into small bits and putting
them in clear Christmas ornaments for something personalized for an
embroiderer's tree.

There's someone collecting craft items to send to the troops in Iraq (see
archives for her address), who I'm sure would be happy to take them off your
hands. Alternately, I have a contact in Iraq who'll find them a good home with
some bored G.I., or you could donate to someplace like Afghanistan Women's
Mission, which will give them to a woman who will use them to make crafts to
help support her family.

Never, never throw away craft supplies. There's always someone with a clever
idea for using what you think is junk.

--
Finished 12/14/03 -- Mermaid (Dimensions)
WIP: Angel of Autumn, Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe, Guide the Hands (2d

Paralegal - Writer - Editor - Researcher
http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html