Old June 14th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default LQS Complaints--Other shoe; same foot.

This topic brings me to a disagreement that I had with my SIL over
Christmas. MIL was getting ready to make a quilt for DGD's hs graduation.
DGD has picked out a pattern that was not large enough for a
throw----pattern was a wall hanging. MIL and I decided that the design
would work if we put it on point and added log cabin blocks on the top and
bottom of the quilt. (We did it and it came out to be a stunning quilt---I
will post a photo later.). MIL wondered how much fabric to purchase. Now
she is a loyal customer at the LQS and drops a significant amount of cash
there annually. I suggested that she take our plan in and ask for help.
She was reluctant to do that because she wanted DGD to pick out the fabric
and since they live in Chicago, that shopping trip would probably take place
there. I opined that since she was a frequent shopper at the store in town,
I was sure that they would help her with the fabric requirements even if she
was buying the fabric elsewhere (again, purchasing fabric anywhere else is
unusual for her.) My SIL jumped on me with both feet and said that it would
be totally inappropriate to ask for their help when she planned to purchase
the fabric elsewhere. I disagree because MIL is such a good customer of the
LQS. (OT info: My SIL and I rarely see eye-to-eye and she was itching for
a fight that night---this was only one of the many little "outbursts" that
she had before she went up to bed. And she made sure that they left for
home the next morning before we were up---we see them maybe once a year.
She did not speak to either of my sons during the visit but that is not
unusual. Thirty-one years and counting and we still cannot get along but
this was worse than usual.)
So, in your esteemed opinions, was I wrong to make this suggestion? BYT,
she did not follow my suggestion and had the Chicago shop do her figuring.
Just wondering---do not want to start a flame war here.

judy in fort worth