Old August 18th 03, 02:33 AM
The Nielands

Wow, it all seems like so long ago. I think we first connected to the
Internet in 1995 or 96, and I looked for anything and everything I could
find that related to quilting. This newsgroup was one of those things, and
reading it has become an important part of my day! I don't post often, but I
check in to read several times a day. Why do I stay? Sometimes I'm not sure,
because I do have other things I could (should?) be doing, but I have come
to feel like I know many of the people who post here. I've cried with their
losses and cheered and smiled with their successes and happy danced when it
was appropriate. I'm not much of a joiner -- I don't belong to a guild or
even a small group (although that's something I probably would consider) --
and RCTQ is something where you can come and go as you please. I read a
couple of other newsgroups, but this one is the one I stay with. Quilters
are a special group -- kind, warm, and caring -- and even when we have our
disagreements, we can generally come back to the board and still be friends.

When I was growing up, Grandma taught me how to crochet, knit, and
embroider, and I did all of them! The one thing she never taught me, though,
was how to quilt. When DH and I got married, he was still in the Army, and
the Officers Wives Club on post offered a variety of classes, including
quilting. So, off I went. There was a great little fabric shop (quilt shops
as we know them today just didn't exist) where I found the perfect fabric
for a Trip Around The World quilt -- which was hand pieced and hand quilted
and is still part of the family today. I quilted it on Grandma's floor
frame. That was back in 1980 and, as they say, the rest is history. I have
done some cross stitch periodically since then, but the crocheting,
knitting, and embroidering have gone by the wayside.

Hmmm, what's in my quilting future? Well, I'm still working on hand quilting
a Thimbleberries BOM that I started something like three years ago. Then, I
have a WIP that has a Mariner's Compass theme that needs to be taken to the
next step. I'm going to have to sharpen my machine quilting skills for that
one, though, because I used a white-on-white fabric where the design is kind
of stamped on, and it'll be awful to try to hand quilt it!

Diana, it's great you're feeling better. Hope our stories have helped pass
the time!

Louise
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits

up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to

do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if

you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay,

and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these ..

then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored