Old February 4th 04, 03:15 PM
Kathy Applebaum

I've been faced with this a couple of times.

First, the "successful" one. After I gave my niece and nephew quilts for
their birthdays, my SIL (their mother, DH's sister) "decided" I would make
her a quilt that was a specific size and in specific colors. (She left this
announcement on our answering machine.) After kicking around the idea for a
few days, I realized I *really* didn't want to do this -- I just wasn't
thrilled with the project. DH and I talked about it, and he told me to work
up a price like it was a commission quilt. I did, and he called his sister
and explained that I was very booked up with paying quilt customers, but if
she wanted to commission me to make the quilt for her, here's the price and
the time frame. She got the hint, and didn't bring it up again. *grin*

Now, the "unsuccessful" one. In October, my Dad announced that all he wanted
for Christmas was "an old bed quilt you aren't using so I can keep warm."
(Two years ago I gave him one of my art quilts, which he clearly didn't
like.) Right, like I have an old bed quilt I'm not using. Or the time to
make a quilt before Christmas. Well, I managed to pull it together and got a
quilt done. Queen sized, his colors, really nice quilting. Brought it over
on Christmas, he took it and dumped it on the couch without opening it up.
As I said to DH later "well, at least I'll never have to spend time making
another quilt for him."

As to your friend, perhaps they *would* do better at Target.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Sooner or later I think every quilter gets a request from
family/friends for a commissioned quilt. Now I am faced with one
of those requests. The person wants a queen size quilt in certain
colors in a 'Country' Pattern. "Do you have an extra quilt I
could buy? Or maybe you could make me a quilt?" The email went
on to say ... "If not can you recommend a shop that sells quilts?
Or do you think I'd do better at a Department Store, or perhaps
Walmart, or Target?" (PUHLEEZE!)

I want to say: "I do not have 'extra' quilts." Okay, that is
easy. I then would like to state that while I do not have the
time to do this, I can detail the costs to make one. Then I'd
list the costs of fabric, batting, and a professional long arm
quilter. If anyone has suggestions on those topics, I'm eager to
know. Also, what can I say about WHERE to buy a quilt?

This subject has been discussed here before, but it was quite a
while ago. I do know that some of the remarks were excellent. I'd
like to hear your thoughts again.

Thanks, PAT in VA/USA