Old February 4th 04, 01:35 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: Pat in Virginia

Sooner or later I think every quilter gets a request from
family/friends for a commissioned quilt. ....

About 10 years ago, my DSis asked me to make a quilt for a friend who was
having a baby. She said she would pay for supplies and whatever I wanted for
labor. At that time, I had only done one piece block quilt (all previous
quilts had been whole cloth blocks) and I thought this would be a good time to
learn machine piecing.
I am unbelievably anal so I knew I would be OK getting all my points to
match up **fairly well**. The recipient knew she was having a girl and only
cared about having something soft & pretty so I could do whatever type quilt I
wanted. Neither my DSis or the recipient or anyone close could quilt so they
wouldn't be terribly critical if the points didn't match.
I have since made a whole passel of baby quilts for DSis and have learned
how to do a bunch of different types of blocks. I certainly don't make any
money on them but it was a great way to get experience making something that I
knew was going to be appreciated and wasn't a huge project so I could complete
it fairly quickly. Making all those baby quilts also contributed a lot to my
quilting fabric stash :-))!
During all of this, I learned that I don't like to do pieced blocks with
lots of little pieces! I can do them, I just don't like to do them. Log cabin
blocks are about the only multi-piece block I enjoy working with. Nine patch
is OK as are pinwheel blocks. I just know that I would never do a mariner's
compass or drunkard's path or jacobs ladder. I just don't like working with
all those little pieces!
Anyway, I have made tons of quilts for my DSis but she is the only one in
the family who has *asked* me to make quilts. I have a friend who keps
telling me that if I was a *real* friend I would make her a DWR quilt! I told
her in no uncertan terms that wasn't going to happen! Her sister quilts and
another friend whom she has know for ages longer than me also quilts. Either
of them can make her the DWR but it's not gonna be me! Lordy, if I don't like
something relatively straight forward like a jacobs ladder block, could you see
me making a DWR??? I don't mind the curved pieces, I just don't like ALL of
those little pieces -- LOLOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!