Old April 20th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

Default Crackle glaze as wall paint

My first thought is WHAT were they thinking! If you like a hand plastered
look you can now get dry wall compound that doesn't shrink (the shrinking
kind might show shadows of the cracks if the cracks are very large and
deep), and with a wide blade spread a skim coat over the wall. You can get
a pretty smooth surface by going over this with a sheetrocking sanders
blade. Just go to Home Depot, Lowes or the like and they can explain it
all. Sanding down the painted surface IMO would be much more work than this
and would not be as attractive. You will be getting a lot of dust however
so you should hang plastic. WEAR a mask! If you don't want a very smooth
surface you can forego the sanding or you can wet sand with a large sponge.
The wet sanding takes some getting use to however. The hand plaster look is
very pretty and you can make it as smooth or as textured as you want. It
just takes a little practice.

Donna

wrote in message
Hello,

I know this isn't a pottery issue but I thought someone here might
know how/if crackle glaze -- in its application as a way to paint
walls -- can be painted over with regular latex house paint. I don't
want the latter to crack, i.e., I'd like the walls henceforth to just
look like normal flat painted walls.

I'm thinking this won't be possible, that to get what I want I'll have
to sand all the crackle glaze off, which is not my dream come true.

Thanks for any thoughts.

-ml