Old June 15th 05, 01:33 PM
Javahut

Yeah, you have me there; it was a snide comment, and uncalled-for. I was
simply a bit taken aback by the sweeping decree that kilnforming is a
"passing fad". Of course it will prove to be cyclical; everything under
the sun is cyclical.

I don't have a storefront other than on the web, and I do supplement my
beadmaking income by selling supplies (which are indeed stored in my
basement). I have one full-time employee who is paid for essentially
from my supply line profits. Naturally, I hope that after the initial
flush of new lampworkers (and we are still in the initial flush, even
after fifteen years or so of this current revival) dies down, there will
still be enough buyers around and I will be established enough to
continue to make a living at this; I may, and I may not. There are
already cheap and reasonably good Chinese and Indian lampwork beads
available on eBay and at the local stores, but that hasn't put a dent in
my business... yet.

I'm not failing to sympathize with the stained glass retailer (as I hope
my earlier post made clear) I was simply expressing my bemusement at the
relegation of warm glass to "flash in the pan" status.

The only person making "flash in the pan" comments is YOU.

The topic was the retailer, as JK has a storefront operation, that is what
concerns him and where all this started.
All I said was what I perceive, from talking to people that had/have been in
the business, stained glass supply business, for more years than I.

Due to things like the internet, whose storefront does not involve the type
of rents, insurance,taxes, etc that a physical building does, the cycle can
not be addressed the same as it had in the past.

What you "hope for" after the initial push, is what we all hope for. A
niche in the business we enjoy so we can hang around a bit longer and still
pay our bills.
The other end of this topic is demographic, Kalera is in the northwest,
Portland to be specific. Rents average what there? JK is in Lynbrook,on
Long Island, NY darn close to NYC.
HUGE difference in rents, and therefore expenses.
Glass is a big business in Portland, like Settle, people go there looking
for glass, not so at the other end of the country, in the midwest people
come looking for ....cows...

The whole point is that because "it" isn't what you are experiencing right
now doesn't mean "it" is not happening elsewhere. In a great many stained
glass stores, glass rods were introduced by their wholesalers as another
medium, in glass, to add to their bottom line. Same with fused glass, it
just goes further back. As fused glass was introduced it didn't gain in
popularity until the last several years,but the class sizes are already
changing . Not saying it will die, just numbers will reduce below which it
may be difficult for the same businesses to stay around.