Old May 7th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT word of the day

matelassage

Originally a variety of wholecloth quilting from Marseilles, the word
has come to simply mean quilting in the modern sense that we are all
familiar with. Pieced, applique, or wholecloth, this is the word most
commonly used in french for making quilts.
In the original work in France the top may have been a print,
embroidered, or plain, most commonly in linen or cotton though silk
was also much in use. The batting was usually of carded cotton or
silk. For a while quilts of this variety were a much in demand trade
good.
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.