Old February 20th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

Oh Patti! You make me wish I could come enjoy a spot of tea with you! I'm
not really a tea drinker, but I think you could convert me.
DD has started drinking more tea after her teaching stint in Scotland. She
was "homesick" last week after we went to a program at our cultural center
of "The Pipes, Drums and Highland Dancers of 1st Battalion
The Black Watch and the Band of the Welsh Guard". She came home and had tea
right after. What an enjoyable program!
KJ

"Patti" wrote in message
Oh Tina! Never cream, dear me no g
Tea with cold milk is the most English method (and the milk *must* go in
first: there is actually a slight chemical difference if it goes in
afterwards).
Tea with lemon is most acceptable with earl Grey and other scented teas.
Russian tea is definitely with lemon.
However you drink your tea, enjoy it, and *always* boil the water - not
just hot. It makes a world of difference. If you use good tea, it won't
have a bitter tannin taste. I almost always use Ceylon tea - a golden
tea, with no bitterness. If you are not too keen on the bergamot scent of
Earl Grey, Lady Grey is slightly less pungent. Also, a mix of Earl/Lady
Grey with Ceylon is lovely. If you haven't tried a bergamot scented tea
for relaxation, please do have a go, you can really feel your head
un-crinkling!
.
In message .com, Tina
writes
I have discovered that I am a tea addict. Have loved the stuff for
ages, but have discovered recently that I must have my afternoon tea.
About 2 in the afternoon, if I haven't started the tea kettle for a
English Teatime or a Constant Comment... I start to lose steam and feel
a bit sluggish!

question #1. Dh and I are having a bit of a tit-a-tat as to true
"English" tea. He swears "with lemon" - I'm sure my friend from
England told me a spot of cream. I'm just one dollop of honey myself,
but have discovered lately that I like the occassional spot of cream in
my tea. So which is it?

question #2. What is YOUR favorite cold weather food item? I've run
out of meal plan ideas this week and quite frankly I'm tired. If it
would work in the crock pot or in a big dutch oven, that would even be
a plus. We've already had:

stew
chili
split pea soup
corned beef and cabbage - which I started in the crock pot yesterday
morning before Billy and I left for the day. The corned beef didn't
have enough fat in it, and I didn't add enough liquid (counting on the
fat) so the cabbage burnt! Can you say GeeeeROSSSSSS! Nothing smells
worse than coming home to a house that reaks of burned cabbage! BLEK!

So before DH gets home and wants my weekly grocery list......you guys
got any swell ideas or answers?

TIA and Hugs,
Tina

--