Old August 5th 03, 10:57 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

I agree with what others have said. have your mom check with her
physician. If she is *seriously* overweight and it is a threat to her helth,
many isurance companies will cover the cost of the gastric bypass surgery.
It's a hassel to get everything by the insurance people but it can be done.
On a side note, the surgery alone does NOT solve the weight problem. If,
after the surgery, a person eats improperly or overeats it will have a very
negative impact on weight loss. I had a similar (termed a gastroplasty or
stomach stapling, not a bypass) surgery done many years ago and changing eating
habits is what solves the problem. The surgery makes it a LOT easier to
change, tho'!
In my surgery, a row of staples was put across my stomach, reducing the size
of the stomach that accepts the food. There is a *very* small opening from the
new "top" of my stomach to the new "bottom" of my stomach. This means that
when I eat, the food goes into the top of my stomach, gets digested so that is
goes through the tiny opening to the bottom of my stomach and then gets
digested further as it makes the normal trip through my intestines. I get full
a lot faster so I eat a LOT less. Even with my type of surgery, you can
stretch out that top portion of the stomach so that you can eat almost as much
as you ate before. Also, if all you eat is junk, you won't lose weight very
fast!
HMMMM -- thats probably a LOT more than anyone wanted to know about stomach
surgery -- LOLOL! When I had it done -- must be about 20 years ago by now --
the insurance company paid for 90%! I just asked DH and he said our 10% was
somewhere around $750.00 -- boy, was THAT cheap -- LOL! CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!