Old July 23rd 12, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default Games Quilters Play

In article ,
(Twila P) wrote:

Sometime within the next few months I'll be responsible for our quilt
guild's monthly meeting. Usually we have some kind of a demo or a talk
about a quilting related subject. I'd like to "get out of the box" and
do something different. A game night comes to mind only I need help in
figuring out games that I can relate to quilting. Bingo comes to mind
(like "B-scissors" or "G-batiks") but I don't know how to come up with
the numbers to be called so there aren't numerous winners for each game.
Have any of you played a game that was, or could be, adapted to a
quilting theme?

We've had two different games played at our guild that were hits.

We did Bingo but called it Quilto. No need to add an extra column
though. Just make a grid of 5 x 5 on paper and label the center square
"free".

Now, think something fun up for the rest of the squares. We did things
like: someone who is left handed, someone whose favorite color is
orange, someone who hand quilts, someone whose birthday is this month,
and so on.

When people came in they got a Quilt-o card,a pen, and a slip of paper.
They printed their name on the slip of paper and handed it back and we
stuck it in a container.

Then they had to mingle and find people who fit one of those squares.
Some of them fit several but they could only put their name in one
square per card. So, I could sign the left handed thing on one persons
card and the hand quilter thing on another persons card, but I couldn't
put my name more than once on a card. Make sense?

Then we played and we pulled names out of the container. It was really
fun. It got people talking to each other and to people they wouldn't
normally talk to just to fill in those squares.

The other came was left, right, center. There are actually dice with
these letters on it.
http://www.toycrossing.com/lcr/

Each table (we sat in tables of 8 people) got just one of the dice.
Everyone brought 10 - 5" squares (though you could pick any number and
any shape of fabric like 2 1/2" strips or bigger squares or whatever)

First person rolls the die. If "L" comes up they pass a fabric piece to
the left, if "R" comes up they pass one right and if "C" comes up they
put one in the center of the table.

You go around the table until there is only one person left with fabric.
They get the pile plus all the fabric in the center.

Everyone got a pattern that used 5" squares. It was fun and took longer
than expected so I wouldn't necessarily have people bring more than 10
of anything.

marcella