Old August 27th 04, 01:20 AM
Helen Halla Fleischer

| On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:52:23 GMT, "Jason" wrote:

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in message
You could try one of the other polymer clays such as Premo, Fimo, Kato
Polyclay, Promat.

Refer to this site for information on the relative strengths of the clays:

Thanks. I may have to do that. I tried baking a few samples of the Sculpey
but it just did not turn out right. I baked it according to directions the
first time and a bit hotter the second and in both cases the finished
samples were rubbery and had dark splotches and the color changed quite a
bit from white to beige with dark splotches all over them. I just bought
the clay from a local well-known craft store and just opened it so I don't
know why it was not baking properly. I do have an old oven so that may be a
factor.

An oven thermometer is a very worthwhile investment. It also helps to line
the tray with cardboard and tent foil over the work. Rubbery is better than
brittle, but brown splotches mean too much heat.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org