Old August 22nd 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd

Default What would you do?

I would be upfront about the costs and include your time. I would also tell
her that you don't have time nor inclination to make a spread, shams, etc
having so recently made her the quilt.

--
Mary
"Debbie" wrote in message
: Hi all,
:
: Just thought I'd get some opinions on a problem that has come up.
:
: When people find out you make quilts they all want one. Problem is, I
don't
: mind making relatives one for free, but my MIL has asked me to make her
: bosses one each (she has two bosses) for Christmas. She says she will pay
me
: for it. If I charged by the time and effort I put into it, she couldn't
pay
: me for it. I know she's thinking $20-50.
:
: Another thing that has irked me is that I made my MIL one in January and
she
: informed me (the same day she asked me to make her bosses one and to make
: her a bedspread and matching shams for her bed) that she is going to put
the
: one I made for her in January in a yard sale. I said, "Don't sell it in a
: yard sale, I'll buy it back." And she said, "Well, it's faded."
: !!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
: How do I get across to her that this stuff takes a lot of time??? She told
: me that making quilts for people at Christmas was a *cheap* way to give
: presents, too. I don't think she is trying to be mean, but she has no
idea
: the time and effort that goes into this stuff. Hubby has somewhat of an
: idea of how much time and effort I put into it, but he is real protective
of
: his mother, so I have to approach this delicately. LOL
:
: Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.
:
: Debbie
:
: