Old November 9th 05, 09:02 AM
Ted Frater

Default I just picked up a ROLLING MILL , now I have some questions !

mtnrabbit wrote:
Hello,
Thank you for getting back to me. I had three healthy young men carry
the mill into the shop. ( I was lucky )

1. we need to See an image of it .... ( I can email photos, what is
your email address ? )

2.Have some dimensions as follows, roll width, roll dia. wether all
flat or
part grooved. .... ( roll width is about 4 in , half flat and half
grooved, motor size is 1/2 hp Dayton split gear, 700 lbs torque , Ratio
- 42.8:1

Motor Horse power and rpm Approx roll rpm when running. ... ( ? )

also overall weight height etc. ... ( weight heavy, approx 15 in high
and 8 wide )

Finally where are you? ... ( In the So California area , Phelan Ca )

Did you also look around to see if there was anyonther tools of our
trade where you found it? ... ( the person that owned it died )

Thanks for your help, Dennis

PS: I have 90 plus Invitations to Gmail so If anybody in the group
wants one please email

By definition your mill is a small silver/gold smiths production one
being motor driven, ie designed for continious use as opposed to a hand
driven one. there are advantages to both. the hand one can go backwards
and forwards quickly to do a no of differnet rolloing operations. Say,
reducing a rod to a taper in several stages as opposed to hand forging
this down. You cant do this on a powered mill.
Tho its a pain rolling out say 20 yards of wire buy hand. thats when
the power drive comes into its own.
the best otion is to have both hand and power mills.
Id like to see an image, ,my email address is ted dot frater at virgin
dot net.
It could be a Durston, made here in the UK roll proportions are pretty
general , ie 4in width will be approx 2.5in dia.
Regrettably im in rainy old UK.