Old November 20th 05, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Röhmertopf?

"Xtra News" wrote in message

"Bubbles" wrote in message
Interesting that you say unglazed is better than glazed, since crazing
actually seems to retain bacteria better than unglazed pottery.

Also, I am wondering if the slow-cooking can just as well be done in a
normal open "pot" with aluminium foil over it at a lower heat? The
benefits of cooking over time are great, that I know. But need we
insulate the food with a röhmertopf in order to get the same effect as
simply lowering the temperature and waiting an hour extra?

My topf is still leatherhard and it can go either way - keep wet, finish
and fire - or wet thoroughly and recycle. I would appreciate your input
on the usefulness of this pot - as compared to the power usage, heavy
cleaning job and storage space required.

Thanks!

Marianne

Apparently the shape of the Rohmertopf makes the steam circulate
differently which creates more tender moist food.

Ah bugger, I meant to say the shape of the tagine, with the cone )