Old November 18th 04, 09:06 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
We call it "Education Day" and have one every year,
usually for just the guild members. If there's a very popular
speaker (Mary Ellen Hopkins), we open up the invitation list
and include the general quilting public. ;-)
One of our fund raising projects supports this education offering.
http://qgoa.org/
Good luck!
Have fun!
Tell some non-members about it so they'll be interested in joining
the guild. ;-D

Ragmop/Sandy--in Arlington, Texas, quilting and quilting...

"NightMist" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:10:47 GMT, " mauvicem"
wrote:

A question has come up in our guild.....our president wanted to give back
the entire group for such a fine job that was done at our quilt show....so
she arranged a workshop that she has offered to guild members for
free....here is the question....we are an incorporated non-profit
organization and so one of our members pointed out that there are IRS
"admonitions"/rules about non profit organizations using group funds for
the
benefit of the members only....the general thought is to offer a certain
set
number of slots for the workshop for the general public and the balance to
the membership....
Has anyone had to deal with this issue in your guild or other non profit
organization? And how did you address it?

Don't worry about it.
Seminars to improve the skills of the membership and/or it's employees
are perfectly permissable. Since you are a quilt guild, a quilting
seminar would be well in line with that.

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell