Old November 18th 04, 05:51 PM
georg

mauvicem wrote:

Has anyone had to deal with this issue in your guild or other non profit
organization? And how did you address it?

I'm in the SCA. We are one of those chartered non-profit organizations
with an educational purpose. We have events *every weekend* that are
closed to the general public for the benefit of members. Last weekend,
my local group held a schola- which is nothing but classes, and it was
for members only (well, ok, some non members did come, but you had to
know about it from a member and had to meet the dress code (clothing
that looked pre-1600) so there were requirements to participate- the
average joe coming off the street was NOT permitted).

We get around it by having separate things called demonstrations where
we demonstrate to the public what we do behind closed doors. Your guild
can have a public Quilt Show, and it's about the same thing. It also
coincidentally gathers new folks into the group.

-georg