Old July 15th 04, 06:48 PM
Dr. Sooz

WOW. I'm overwhelmed just reading this. Can't wait til August now, sheesh!

hi y'all!
I still haven't melted anything in that big old Skutt. HOWEVER..its because I
have been awfully busy, making 60 miniature masks for the swap I just hosted,
and getting ready for the seminar I will be giving next week in Jackson MS,
and
making other stuff....including some face molds for fusing glass. I made the
originals out of polymer clay (and two are used in this new swap), and baked
them. Then I used the Mold Making Material we got from D&L Stained Glass Co.
in
a 5# bag...it looks a lot like plaster of paris with a brown tinge, which
made
me think of Louis's suggesstion of a PP/sand mix for molds. It mixes like PP,
with water and using a tongue depressor for a mixer.

My first batch of molds was not good because of the bubbles---I placed my
originals face down into the poured mix, in cut down plastic food containers.
The originals were sprayed with PAM (food oil) the containers were not---both
released beautifully. And, there were no bubbles in the *bottom* of the
pieces--just the tops. So, the next batch, I stuck the originals to the
bottom
of the containers and poured over them. Beautiful smooth molds of 5 of my
original faces, which are now drying and being prepped for use. I'll let you
know how it all turns out--there'll be pics, when I get some melting
done...but
its still going to be a while...probably not till the first week of August. I
hate having to be patient, but theres so much to do I can't fit it all in
except in little bits here and there. I'm really looking forward to making
glass face cabs though!!!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com