Old March 27th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default a new development in Scotland

Batik Freak - where do you live? We are so spoiled here in California - you
haven't been able to smoke in a restaurant in years & some time ago, smoking
in bars was banned. Now, I'm noticing that you can't smoke within 6'? or so
feet from the entrance of a building. I hated walking out of a building,
into a cloud of cigarette smoke. A town, here in Northern California just
banned smoking in any public place & a town in Southern California did the
same thing, just a few weeks ago. I'm a proud ex-smoker. Can't believe
people ever put up with me when I was a smoker. I've been smoke- free for
almost 20 years now. Traveling in Europe is always such a shock, because
smoking is more prevalent there than here in the States.

Pauline
"Batik Freak" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Man I really wish the USA would get with the program on smoking - I hate

it.
Slowly but surely most good restaurants around here are going to either
totally nonsmoking, or smoking ONLY in the bar, but it will take

(literally)
an act of Congress (or possibly an act of the gods...) to get freedom from
smoke in all public places. I keep hearing from restaurant folk all

this
whining about "O the smokers won't go out to eat and we'll lose business."
That's just crap. In exactly NONE of the restaurants I've been to has

this
happened. Usually, in restaurants where there IS still smoking, there is

wait for the non-smoking section. Restauranteurs are getting the clue -
last week, I saw a sign at a die-hard, "family style" restaurant that said
WE WILL BE ALL NONSMOKING ON SUNDAYS. Hopefully it won't be long til

every
day is Sunday there.....

"Sylvi" wrote in message
Aha - but Kiwiland passed that law last year.....good on the Scots for
doing the same...
but I can't see how quilts would smell any better with the aroma of beer
wafting thru them
Quilts in pubs??? Not down here I don't think...but then again, maybe

in
a quiet corner....
cheers
Sylvi
sylviald at ihug dot co dot nz

"KJ" wrote in message
Well, darn. We just missed it by a few months. That law would have
certainly made our trip (albeit very nice) even more memorable.
Congrats to the forward thinking Scots. Lift a glass to better

smelling
quilts! Cheers!
KJ

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
The ban on smoking in public places in Scotland came into force today.
I was playing at an afternoon folk session, the difference was amazing
(mainly, people talk much more quietly when they're not smoking, so we
could hear what we were doing a lot better - more details in a post I
made to uk.music.folk and rec.travel.europe).

Marion has occasionally tried handquilting in Bell's while I'm

playing.
The problem is that it was so smoky the quilt ended up smelling like

an
ashtray, particularly since the player I described as the Fire Goddess
joined us.

Now, no smoke. Scottish pubs have become quilting-friendly.

Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131
660 4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870
0554 975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800
739 557