Old March 8th 13, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default Finding an old style tool

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 10:42:03 +0000, Kay Lancaster wrote:

I don't recognize it by the name of bodkin (which to me, is something
you use to pull ribbon or elastic through a casing), but search
"tambour" he http://lacis.com/catalog/

Or maybe a zardosi needle?
http://www.aiacaonline.org/pdf/zardo...dery-extended-

documentation.pdf

Well good morning!
It never once occurred to me to look at tambour needles, and actually
think!
I have done tambour, but It is not something I do often. My hooks are
old bone or steel stand alones that I more often use for fine sewings in
other laces. I've seen the changeable hooks though, and my brain still
says bodkin handle for the part you put them in.
Since I buy from Lacis I feel a bit foolish.

There were bodkins before elastic, they were a needle in a handle. When
you needed a pokey thing smaller than your stilletto, that is what you
used. In truth a fine tambour needle can do many of the same things if
you are careful, manipulating warp or weft threads in cut and drawn work,
pushing threads around in assorted techniques, making perforations in
fine fabrics when you need to be finicky, a lot of little things that it
just makes easier though you could do without.
And of course there are also the other sort that were used by
witchfinders.

In case you haven't noticed after all this time, a lot of my terminology
is a bit antique. Comes of learning from grammas and very old books I
think.

That zardozi article is actually something I have been looking for for a
while now, I just didn't know what it was called and hadn't sat down to
do a full on "gonna darned well find it" search. Plus it has the name of
other techniques to look up! Yay!

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?