Old March 25th 04, 10:23 PM
annemarie

wrote in message
. ..
This puts me in mind of a famous story about my other profession, one that
pays slightly less than pottery: writing. Legend has it that a very
celebrated Canadian novelist, Margaret Laurence, was at a gala and was
engaged in conversation with a neurosurgeon. At a point in the

conversation
he confessed that he had always wanted to write a novel and was thinking

he
might do it when he retired. At which she exclaimed, "What a coincidence!
I'm planning on becoming a neurosurgeon when I retire!"
Perhaps on overstatement, but it speaks to the disregard many people have
for the complexity, artistry and brute skill/training involved in the act

of
creating something. Our ability to acquire so much, so many mass-produced
things, leads to a certain arrogance, as if my ability to pay for

something
somehow raises me onto a par with someone who makes something: creating

and
purchasing are very different things.
Anyway, I'm actually shocked at how little pottery sells for. Spectacular
centrepiece bowls that you know are going to be the focal point of an

entire
room routinely sell for $80-$200 around here. A painting? $700-$5000.

And
with pottery discussions of cost almost seem to come back to discussions

of
the time involved, or the cost of materials, which to my mind are totally
irrelevant - an object with aesthetic value, one that triggers a response

on
an aesthetic level has value beyond its functionality. If I were pressed

on
the subject, I would say that beauty is often undervalued - not something
you can kick the tires of.
Solution? I don't know. But I'm always proud of potters who stand by the
value of their work, who charge what they believe it is worth rather than
what they think they can get. Not necessarily practical, you can price
yourself right out of business. But threads like this, discussing the

value
it plays in our lives and others is probably very important, if nothing

else
to bolster each other in our work.
Thanks to all the posters - I've actually been checking back daily to read
this thread, because I find it quite inspirational.
Simon

Yep I find it interesting too. I agree that pottery is undervalued.
On the writing thing, I do agree that the skill of the writer cannot be
underestimated however some retired people write wonderful things. My Dad
in his last years wrote a book that is autobiographical but also about his
grandfathers pioneering days here in NZ. It is not a literary masterpiece
although it has been accepted as a nomination in the Montana book awards
here in the autobiographical section. It is valuable as a history, as a
glimpse of another way of life. The language used is quiant and old
worldly. It would not have the same charm it does if it was too well
written.