Old November 13th 04, 07:05 AM
Tom Farrell

(Jacqueline Passey) wrote:

Should I get a sewing machine or a serger? I've heard/read that the
latter is better for making clothes quickly. Do I need both or just
one? (I might be able to borrow a sewing machine from time to time,
so right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a serger.)

Please see The Sewing FAQ at:
http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/sewing
The short answer: A serger is very nice to have, a sewing machine is a
must-have. (One of my friends bought a serger thinking a sewing
machine wasn't necessary, and a month later he gave up and bought a
sewing machine.)

Of the various introductory sewing / clothes making books out there,
which do you think are the best for a total beginner?

http://www.tomfarrell.org/textiles/books

Will I be able
to copy my current garments, or is that too complex for a beginner?

It's fairly easy. One or another book should explain how.

(It seems simple... for example I have a grey knit dress that is only
three pieces of fabric sewn together, it seems like I should be able
to turn it inside out, trace it, add some fabric around the edges, and
sew it together. Is there much more to it than that?)

No, other than that if you trace the edges of the existing cut pieces
and use the same seam allowance the manufacturer did, you don't need
to add any extra.

What else should I know?

I put it in The Sewing FAQ, for which the URL is above.

Tom Farrell
http://www.SewingWithTom.com/