Old November 12th 04, 06:46 PM
Kate Dicey

Jacqueline Passey wrote:
Hi! I am completely frustrated by my inability to find clothes in the
color, style, fit, and durability that I want in the store, and have
decided to learn to make my own. Fortunately my favorite clothes that
I want to copy are all very simple -- 1 to 3 pieces of fabric, mostly
knits, with few or no buttons and no darts. So I think I can do it.
I've requested a bunch of books on sewing from the library, and am
investigating local classes, but I'd appreciate some advice from
experienced people.

What an excellent idea - but be warned: knits are not the easiest
fabrics for a novice to tackle! Yes, they may need fewer pieces, but
they can be harder to fit and the stretch makes sewing them less easy.
Get a book specifically about sewing knits: the Stretch & sew guide is
excellent.

Should I get a sewing machine or a serger? I've heard/read that the
latter is better for making clothes quickly. Do I need both or just
one? (I might be able to borrow a sewing machine from time to time,
so right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a serger.)

You can sew seams very quickly on a serger, but a sewing machine is
better for almost everything else you will want to do, and it is
impossible to do some things with a serger (buttonholes, for example)
and very difficult to do others (like zips! No way can you do a nice
posh low visibility garment zip with a serger! High visibility bag and
fleece zips, yes, but not skirt and trouser zips).

As a professional sewer and teacher, I'd say get a sewing machine FIRST,
and then if you like the sewing, get a serger later when you know more
about garment construction. It is perfectly possible to get very good
results on knits with an ordinary machine.

Of the various introductory sewing / clothes making books out there,
which do you think are the best for a total beginner? Will I be able
to copy my current garments, or is that too complex for a beginner?
(It seems simple... for example I have a grey knit dress that is only
three pieces of fabric sewn together, it seems like I should be able
to turn it inside out, trace it, add some fabric around the edges, and
sew it together. Is there much more to it than that?)

Yes, quite a bit! You have the essentials, but it's learning about how
much to add where, and how to add for pleats, pockets, and other details
that you need to learn too...

You need some practice with other simple garments first, I think, and
you then need to learn to slip a pattern off a made garment. There are
a couple of good books on the Book List on my web site. The Kwick sew
and Stretch and Sew patterns will be a good place to start. Look at
some of the Singer books and the Sewing For dummies and Reader's Digest
ones too.

Can anyone in Seattle give specific recommendations about local
stores, classes, sewing groups, etc.?

Can't help you there! Seattle is a long way from Kent, UK!

What else should I know?

Too much to list here! Start by browsing through the Sewing room
sections on my website: there are some basic sewing lessons there, and a
useful glossary of sewing terms, plus a guide to taking measurements and
reading a commercial pattern.

Have fun!

--
Kate XXXXXX