Old November 12th 04, 05:13 PM
Jacqueline Passey

Default I want to learn to make my own clothes (in Seattle)

Hi! I am completely frustrated by my inability to find clothes in the
color, style, fit, and durability that I want in the store, and have
decided to learn to make my own. Fortunately my favorite clothes that
I want to copy are all very simple -- 1 to 3 pieces of fabric, mostly
knits, with few or no buttons and no darts. So I think I can do it.
I've requested a bunch of books on sewing from the library, and am
investigating local classes, but I'd appreciate some advice from
experienced people.

Should I get a sewing machine or a serger? I've heard/read that the
latter is better for making clothes quickly. Do I need both or just
one? (I might be able to borrow a sewing machine from time to time,
so right now I'm leaning towards purchasing a serger.)

Of the various introductory sewing / clothes making books out there,
which do you think are the best for a total beginner? Will I be able
to copy my current garments, or is that too complex for a beginner?
(It seems simple... for example I have a grey knit dress that is only
three pieces of fabric sewn together, it seems like I should be able
to turn it inside out, trace it, add some fabric around the edges, and
sew it together. Is there much more to it than that?)

Can anyone in Seattle give specific recommendations about local
stores, classes, sewing groups, etc.?

What else should I know?

Thanks!!!

Jacqueline