Old November 27th 05, 08:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Pre-washed squishies/hug blocks

On 24 Nov 2005 07:06:54 -0800, "Leslie & The Furbabies in MO."
wrote:

Okay- this "to wash or not to wash" topic comes up frequently. This
brings up a question.... how do we determine if a pre-washed
squishie/hug block will be welcomed?

Every fabric I buy goes straight to the washer and dryer with softener.
All three of us smoke- sadly. When I want to squish someone, it isn't
convenient to drive 40 miles one way to my nearest not very local LQS
to buy un-washed fabric- especially since I drive a BIG truck that gets
lousy gas mileage and gasoline prices are so fierce right now. I try
to remember to re-wash squishies, but I fear they get stinky again
before they are shipped or the odor doesn't come completely out. I
also send books to other quilters and I sure can't wash them!

What does a pre-washing smoker do??? I truely would like to hear some
opinions.... :-)

Leslie (got some S'Mores fabric I'm anxious to send out....) & The
Furbabies in MO.

I smoke too Leslie. I give all the small pieces of fabric and blocks
a wash and hang dry them outside. Just to be on the safe side, I
always wash my hands before I touch the washed fabric. The fabrics
stay outside until they are put into a plastic baggie and
pre-addressed envelope. If they need ironing I use my portable
cutting mat/ironing board that I keep in a closed smoke free room. I
usually wash and mail on the same day.

Books are harder. Most sensitive/allergic people know used books
usually harbor lots of different types of allergens and avoid
borrowing one. You can remove some odor from a book by putting the
book with the pages fanned open in a plastic storage box with a fresh
box of baking soda for at least a week. It won't remove enough for
someone who is allergic to cigarette smoke, but usually is enough for
many non-smokers.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at