Old August 10th 03, 08:32 AM
Patti

Interesting thoughts Jeanne,
There is a lady whose wonderful quilting includes the kind of thing you
described. Her name is Dilys Fronks. I think she probably has a
website? You, of all people, will find it if there is one!!
Her wrought iron quilts are world famous, and she has written at least
one book about them. She makes black, 'wrought iron' patterns in black
just as you describe. She started with single pieces of floral fabric;
now she makes pieced backgrounds.
So, either will work; whatever you decide to do will be fine. Seams in
the background are completely ignored!! They are there , or not, as the
black design goes.
I'm sure you will love the effect. And you will probably enjoy the
actual doing - even if it might get a bit fiddly. Do a little baby one
first, perhaps? just to try. Seams underneath won't make a big
difference, because you can just 'catch' the top layer of the underneath
fabric.
Have fun!
..
In article , nzl*
writes
eh? me too subtle for you? well that must change immediately.
now then what can i do to change from being subtle.
ya know i'm fresh outta ideas today however i'd gladly accept any from
one and all and they'll not cost ya to send'em in.

in the meantime i've been mulling over doing a sorta stained glass hawaiian
type block. i'm thinking...make a 14inch qst in two colours. then sew a big
piece of black over the front but just round the edges for stabilizing the
whole thing. then draw designs on the black, snip out the middle pieces and
reverse applique that black outta the way so the colours show thru. geez, i
hope thats clearly subtle enough or subltly clear enough even.

with the quarters in two colours opposite one another...
do i do two different designs as well or just the same in all quadrants.
decisions, decisions.

another thot i had was to start sewing all my lovely scraps from all round
the rctq world and then with black over them just randomly reverse applique
some design as the mood takes me. oh must be careful i dont have seams
showing thru, that would look so tacky.
all your thoughts would be much appreciated.
did i not consider some essential ingredient?
you got some other ideas re similar project?
come on folks put yer thunking (sic) caps on please.
hugz to the bestest ng in the world.
jeanne*

--
Best Regards