Old August 10th 03, 05:11 AM
julia sidebottom

Thank you (all) for posting this valuable information.
I am chucking to myself right now as I looked over the charter
information. After so many years actively working (in the early years)
to get things moving I have set back and let all the changes go by me.
For the last several years I haven't even thought of the process of
setting up listservs or ng's, that is until this last day or so. I am
amused with myself on just how quickly I have forgotten all that went
into the process. It is good to know that I come by my retirement from
the formation processes honestly and can enjoy the fruits of the labor.
Even though we keep an active server going all the time with a 1/4th
bandwidth T1 line, I rarely even tinker with it any longer. It runs
itself with only occasional maintenance. (That was the maintenance that
kept me pretty busy the last couple weeks). Though it does seem for the
most part the only thing (DH excluded) that pull me away from my
quilting is the computers that still come in via friends and family to
be overhauled. The compiling of information any more takes to much
brain power. .
thanks again
juliasb
For me letting others take the reigns and plunge forward is great, it
has provided me the best opportunity of all. Now I have all the time I
want to quilt and quilt and quilt...

NightMist wrote:
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:07:17 -0400, julia sidebottom
wrote:

Kate Dicey wrote:

I think I'm bashing my head against a brick wall with this one. It
really doesn't matter what people said to you off the group - that's
quite irrelevant to my point. You made an error and trod on peoples
toes. You compounded the error with attempts to tell us we were wrong,
and we are not. The charter forbids advertising IN ANY FORM, and
offering thing for sale (that is, in exchange for money) is
advertising.

clipped gently

Kate what charter? Like I said earlier I have may not have the same
information on ng's as others. It would be nice that I am not totally
losing my mind. ???? thanks
juliasb

Certain hierarchies in the usenet require that a charter be written
for any newsgroup that requests to be added to that heirarchy.
There are probably some groups that grandfathered out of that, but
even there most of those have been renamed and probably chartered in
the process.

The rec heirarchy requires that newsgroups be chartered at their
formation, and did so in 1993 when this group was organized.
Ergo there is a charter, it was posted in another thread:

NAME: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
REPLACES: rec.crafts.quilting
CHARTER: [unchanged] This newsgroup is for discussing anything related

to quilting. That includes piecing, applique, and tyeing and quilting

by hand or machine. Discussions may cover techniques,
supplies,equipment, drafting of patterns, templates, dyeing materials,
artistic approaches, exhibitions, shows, books and other
references, mail order resources, dating quilts and
appraising
quilts.
Discussions may include quilts and quilting both past
(historical quilting) and present, ethnic quilting, quilts to be used
in
a home, quilted clothing to be worn, as well as quilts created
for display and any other piecing or quilting applications

Obviously (to me) written with just getting the group going in mind,
and counting on people behaving in a civilized fashion.
How optimistic of the author.

NightMist