Old December 5th 09, 06:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

Default The Annual water soluble binding

Elmer's School Glue can be used too a la Sharon Schamber
http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%20stuff/images/Binding%20Class.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/yjjumpe

Julia in MN

Bev in TX wrote:
Polly,

The last time I did a binding, I tried glue basting it (Roxanne's Glue-
Baste-It). That worked quite well, as long as I was careful to not
get the glue on the edge to be sewn. One does need to wash the quilt
to remove the glue, but there are no threads to pick out.

Bev in TX

On Dec 4, 9:10 pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
... After you've stitched the binding on by machine and it's time for the
dreaded marathon of handstitching the other edge:
You put in a bobbin full of the water-soluble thread. On top goes a
thread that's easy to see and (later) remove. White is good.
Machine stitch your binding so that it is neat at the corners and even
everywhere else. Think of this as basting.
Then ! You can remove the water-soluble bobbin thread, change to a
different matching or contrasting thread with a fancy stitch and stitch the
binding down without any slip-sliding or wandering. The 'white+
water-soluble' forces every inch of that binding to be still and perfect.
When you wash the quilt, the water-soluble bobbin thread will disappear
and let you take that white basting thread out just quick as a wink.
Well... maybe not that quick but really easily.
Sometimes, I enjoy handstitching the binding - sometimes there's just
not time like when the Yorkie has wet toes and the oven timer is dinging,
the phone ringing and well, you know. Polly

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html