Old June 26th 05, 07:49 AM
Jeanne Burton

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:57:20 +1200, "Marisa Cappetta"
wrote:

You have catagories too? That's amazing. We get that too. At the moment
everyone is making jackets and buying fancy buttons. Or changing the buttons
on existing jackets to make them a bit more stylish. The button counter is
crowded.

I don't know a lot about what is going on in the apparel side of the
store, since I am the "decorator"...I swear the girls over there spend
hours just figuring out where to move the fabric to make me look
stupid when I take a customer over there G

The trouble is that sewing is a dying art. I spend a lot of time explaining
the basics to people. Which I don't mind, at all, I love to help. I love to
promote the art, it gives me great pleasure. It's the customer that won't
listen which can make the day difficult.

I spend a lot of time working with young people. I've seen a GREAT
resurgence in all sorts of crafting, sewing included, in the 12-16
year old group. I have a 10 year old that I set up with a "special
discount" similar to our schoolteacher's card, because she's making
fleece blankets and selling them. She's made enough to buy her own
violin, and now is paying for her lessons. I have a 15 year old with
her own checking account who comes in and buys 50-75 yards of
*expensive* fabrics about once a month. She's a straight-A student
who has a very lucrative business on the side making tote bags and
purses, custom, at school and at home parties. She also consigns in 3
or 4 stores.

What drives me up the wall is when they ask
advice and refuse to listen to it and get stroppy on top of that.

You mean like the girl who needed a VERY fitted equestrian jacket for
a horse show the other day? I looked at her pattern to give her an
opinion on if the fabrics were appropriate, and noticed that the
pattern was a Vogue 6-8 size. This girl was thin, but NOT a 6-8.
(Example. I'm, at the moment, wearing size 8 pants from Express. I
wear a size 14 pattern.) I suggested they measure her and look at the
pattern measurements because it wouldn't fit. Mommy announced that
dear daughter had been a size 7 since she was 13, and would be one
till she was 50, and she didn't care to be insulted by any suggestion
that her daughter was NOT a size 7. Then they stormed out. My
manager was convulsed with laughter next to me, thank heavens, because
they WERE the type to call and complain...

Then there is the customer who made a jacket and isn't happy with the way it
turned out. She brings it in and we spend sometime looking at trims and
buttons and a couple of simple re-styling tricks and she walks out liking
her jacket after all. That's a good day! Or the lady who is getting married
on a tight budget and we find her a lovely combination of satin and organza
and I find out she's also a step-mum and we bond and both walk away feeling
like the day was about more than buying and selling a bit of fabric. That's
an even better day.

Ohyeah...
I have 6 letters hanging on the bulletin boards in the break room from
customers who have taken the time this month to write to corporate
about me. They're embarrassing...service is dead in this culture
these days...when people get it, they're overwhelmed. It's sad,
really.

Jeanne