Old October 23rd 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

Polly Esther wrote:
While Sunny is being snitty, I'll just be uppity. (Ha. My mind zigzags off
here to the How the Fight Started and 'which one are you then?').
I simply can not imagine making a quilt where someone else chose the
fabric prints and colors and orchestrated the blending thereof. I can't
even take a cheater panel for a crib quilt and leave it alone; I always have
to make it mine.
Even out here in the Swamp where all they sell is barbed wire and hawg
feed, it would be impossible for me to accept what someone else put
together.
So. I reject the notion that a kit would be an unfair advantage. We
'uppity' quilters would think of it as a handicap.
Which one are you then? Polly

I've noticed that there are different ways of thinking, I think quilters
like you are rarer than you might think. Almost all the quilters at my
group follow patterns exactly, though a lot do choose there own fabrics,
though quite often from a particular range, or closely following the
colour scheme of the pattern. Recently we collected money for quilt kits
for a church staff member that was retiring, the lady that organised it
said something like "if you are a quilter you'll know how valued a gift
like this is" and I remember thinking why on earth would anyone want
that, but I'm realising now that some people like quilting for the
process and the satisfaction of the finished object, I just fell out of
a different mould, I'm a designer at heart, I love quilting because I've
found a medium where I can exercise that coupled with a process that I
enjoy and a social atmosphere that I can be part of.

Cheers
Anne