Old October 23rd 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default Ethical question about quilt shows

There seems to be some confusion here (at least for me)

Sunny wrote that the quilt in question won VIEWERS CHOICE. So, why all
the discussion about categories, and judges and such? It was the quilt
the people attending the quilt show liked the best.

If the show allows kit quilts to be hung then of course it would be hung
and eligible for the attendees to choose it as their favorite.

marcella

In article ,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Boy, my sentence after "(BTDT!)" is really confusing
... even I cannot understand it! I THINK I meant to say
something along the lines of "If the committee elects
or is required to accept kit quilts, perhaps that
should be a separate category." Clear as mud?

PAT in VA/USA

Pat in Virginia wrote:

What I think: the rules of each show will vary, so some may permit kit
quilts, others not. If you prefer another set of rules, volunteer for
the next show committee. Of course the rest of the committee may out
vote your suggestions, but at least you would have tried. (BTDT!!) If a
committee is required to hang those quilts, perhaps that should be a
separate committee. You are not rude, nor snitty ... unless you've
blabbed it all over the show and guild, which of course I doubt. I'd
have your reaction too!!
PAT in VA/USA

Sunny wrote:

I was admiring the gorgeous quilt that won the top prizes at this
year's local guild quilt show a few weeks back today. It was made by
one of the owners of the LQS here. I opined that picking the fabrics
must have been really a hoot when she said that she hadn't picked any,
it was a kit.

OK, I understand somebody entering a kitted quilt if they are just
getting started, but ...... this struck me as just a bit unethical.
The show is viewer's choice and the quilt is stunning. It's paper
pieced and the design just seems to glow. But she didn't really make
those fabric choices.

What do you folks think? Am I just being rude and snitty, as my DH
suggests?

Sunny