Old August 19th 03, 01:31 AM
Jalynne

I remember where i was when i heard the news...on the way to my neurology
appointment, after having had a mini stroke the week before. Needless to say, since
my hospital is an Army hospital and on base, I was turned away from the gate, even
though i was already 2 hours late for my appointment. For some reason, it didn't
matter too much, I was too sad by the senseless loss of life. I sure wish I'd had
this group and the other I belong to so that I would have not wallowed in it all.
Glad to have you now, though.

--
Jalynne

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:41:17 -0400, Dr. Sooz wrote
(in message ):

IIRC, I first started hanging around right after the WTC attack, and almost

had
second thoughts due to some of the obnoxious Christianism (as opposed to
Christianity) that was being expressed -- I wasn't sure that someone who
was
openly non-Christian would be welcome.

I remember that. I arrived at RCB just before the WTC attacks, and was
stunned
by some of the posts following the tragedy.

I'm glad I wasn't here for that. I was over in misc.kids when the Murragh
Building in Oklahoma City was bombed, and was horrified by the anti-Muslim
sentiment that was expressed. (Before it was found out that a couple of
white guys did it). I remember posting my sadness over the whole affair and
hoped that no one would jump to stupid conclusions.

Then I picked up DD at day care, held her tight, and cried my eyes out for
all the parents who weren't as lucky as I am.

9/11 wasn't a whole lot better. I was a couple of weeks away from getting my
cardiac diagnosis and was spending almost all my time sleeping, because I was
so weak. DH came in and woke me at 11:00 a.m., saying, "Hon, you have to get
up, because all Hell has broken loose."

We sat in front of the television, hoping that none of our friends were
affected, and crying over the horror of it all. My next rush of anger was at
Logan Airport, and their boneheaded "cost saving measures" that resulted in
three of the four flights hijacked coming from Boston. Security there was
(and is) a joke. For the hijackers, I feel more pity at their foolishness
than anything else, and sorrow that they feel that incinerating themselves is
the best they can hope to achieve in this lifetime.

We had a couple of close calls - my best friend's brother lost his entire
department on one of the planes - he was home sick and couldn't travel that
day. Another friend who works at the Pentagon was stuck in traffic taking
her kids to school (her husband usually drove, but he was on a business
trip), causing her to be late. Her office had taken a direct hit, and only
the traffic jam saved her life. Her ten year old daughter was traumatized for
months afterward, because she knew how close she came to losing her mother.

My heart goes out to all the innocents who were killed that day, and their
families. I still hurt for the people of NYC, whose first thought was "Oh my
God, not again" when the lights went out last week.

Kathy N-V