Old June 14th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default what do you think of this advice about soldering iron tips?

In .com, on 13 Jun
2006 15:16:10 -0700, wrote:

I figure an 800 tip solders at twice the speed of a 700, and a
900 at twice that speed.

Interesting hypothesis. Could we get some actual
data to test it?

Here's my off the top of the head test scenario:
One soldering iron. Three tips. Heat the iron til
the thermostat kicks off. Feed solder onto the first
tip as fast as it'll melt for 60 seconds and let it
flow into a container. Let the iron cool to room
temperature. Do the same with the other two tips with
the same solder into identical containers. Get the net
weight of each solder "casting."

Laugh smugly as you prove your hypothesis right.