Old June 4th 04, 03:39 AM
Diana Curtis

What is a Squishie?
"Rules of the Game"

Squishie protocol differs. "Squishie" is generic, of course. Anything
that squishes in your mailbox
(fabric-wise--we won't discuss vandals or kids with too much time on their
hands) is a squishie. If you're
involved in a swap ('you send me... and I'll send you...'), or you lose a
bet, then of course the timeline on
returns is worked out from the git-go. If, however, you're being squished
as a 'welcome friend!/no reason
at all' gesture, the "rules" are a bit grayer. I'd be willing to bet that
the sender isn't really expecting a return
squish. *However*, the general mood of these squishies is "pass it on".
When you get a chance to
welcome someone else, or you see a piece that reminds you of someone on
RCTQ, send your own 'no
reason' squishie. It all manages to come back to you, in one form or
another. One thing seems to be
agreed-upon, however: PLEASE acknowledge the receipt of your squishie, and
do so privately (through
e-mail, not through this newsgroup). Whether you've received the fabric as
a result of a swap, or as a
surprise gift, the sender needs to know you've received it (but *only* the
sender--no one else is
interested). These same guidelines apply to sending squishies: if you wish
to alert people to be on a
lookout for some fabric, do so privately through e-mail. Sometimes it
happens that the only way you can
contact someone is through RCTQ. In that case, please refer to first names
or e-mail addresses only.
Many people have no wish to have their last names known or made public
on/through the newsgroup.

And now, in the words of others:

A squishie is a package of quilt fabric sent to another quilter. These
can be pre-planned, like in the fat
quarter exchanges (a FQ is 18" x 22"), or spontaneous gifts to cheer
someone, congratulate them, or for
no reason at all.
by Singer
~~~~~~~~~~
The sort of envelope where you look at the return address and then
just sort of squeeze it in between
your fingers, knowing that you'll have something fabric-wise to fondle at
work!
by Mary Beth
~~~~~~~~~~
Squishies are those wonderful packages you receive in the mail when you are
a participant in an exchange
of fabric or quilt blocks. They usually don't arrive as a typically flat
piece of mail - but lumpy, soft,
squeezable, squishie! It's like a special gift that you can't wait to open!

by Pam
~~~~~~~~~~
A squishie is something that one quilter sends to another quilter, for no
reason at all, or to brighten the
day, or... without thought of being paid back. It is a gift. It is fabric,
sometimes a fat quarter or two, or
some leftover pieces that you "know" so and so will just love these. It is
done because it pleases the
sender to send it.
by MaryAnne
~~~~~~~~~~
Squishies - the things that make a trip to the letterbox worthwhile
(envelopes from far off places that
contain cloth wrapped in plastic, and sometimes contain other interesting
snippets, and always come with
and cause great feelings of goodwill) and that drive the children nuts -
"ALL the mail was for you
AGAIN, Mum."
by Vivien in Auckland, New Zealand
~~~~~~~~~~
Squishies are absolutly free-form! You can send fat quarters or fat
eighths, or charm squares (6x6 or 5x5
are the most common), or strips, or scraps. A squishy is a welcome thing
indeed! It's an envelope
containing fabric that turns up in your mailbox because some nice person
wants to make sure you're
sticking to a high-fiber diet.
by (Nann, Official Librarian of R.C.T.Q.)

Leslie in Missouri wrote:

I owe squishies to a few people

Okay. Here's where our ng terminology gets us into trouble.

You do not OWE squishies. Nope. Squishies are a gift from the heart
and are not intended nor expected to be reciprocated. (Have you read
Ms. Sarah's most excellent description of a squishie???) Leslie NOT
making any more trades; but still enjoying sending
squishies..... and stabbies and Furbabies in MO.

Wendy (Frood) wrote:

I have a theory that the universe knows when a squishie is going to be
needed, and helps them arrive in the right mailbox on the right day. Even a
terrible, horrible, very bad day can be brightened with a squishie.
Ordinary, everyday wearying days are also made better with one. If you are
having a bad day, and none arrives in your mailbox, it doesn't mean you
aren't loved. Try sending one out instead, and watch your mood improve!

:

---