Old January 11th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Old style knitting

Another good reference on other knitting methods is Mary Thomas's Knitting
Book, which is back in print as a paperback and full of fun facts.
However, I understand that not all the fun facts in MTKB are historically
accurate.

In the Yorkshire method, it was the lower end of the right needle that was
secured in the knitting stick. I expect that other areas had other
methods.
For example, I understand that farther north, it was more common to knit
on
8 or 10 shorter needles, while farther south only 5 longer needles were
used. I am not sure which system was used in Yorkshire -- perhaps both? I
suspect that it had to do with the weight of the yarn being used. Heavier
garments were likely knit on more needles, lighter yarns could be managed
on
fewer needles.

Then there are the knitting sticks from the continent. They are longer -
was that to allow for different lengths of needles? Or, for some other
reason? For example securing the left needle? (so that the left hand could
control the yarn in the continental style.)

Inquiring minds want to know.

Aaron

You may want to read "The Old Hand Knitters Of The Dales".
DA