Old June 3rd 05, 05:32 AM
A & V

I haven't had a chance to visit here for a while, and now half of the
discussion is not accessible. Pity. Monika - English word is possibly
"maker" that some people use to describe themselves ( not a perfect
translation, though)
However, I was browsing through my papers and found a Quote from Douglas
Adams that I found worthwhile coping:

...."I get very worried about this idea of Art. I think that idea of Art
kills creativity.
.....And if somebody wants to come along and say"oh,it's art" that is as it
might be,but I think that's for the other people to decide after the fact.
It isn't what you should be aiming to do. There is nothing worse than
sitting down to write a novel and saying "well, okay, I'm going to do
something of high artistic worth".....But I think that you get most of the
most interesting things done in fields where people don't think they are
doing art, bat are merely practicing a craft, and working as good craftsman.
....I tend to get suspicious of anything that thinks it's art while it is
being created....."

what do you think??
Andrea

"Monika Schleidt" wrote in message
Xtra News wrote:
What do you all think of this article?? Be really interested to hear,

do
you like his work. I love it, but it sure is controversial. I listened

him give a talk a couple months ago. A very interesting man.
Anyway here is the article
http://nzpotters.com/FeatureArticles/GraysonPerry.cfm

I, for one, don't want to be an artist, i am a craftsperson. (there is
no real good word in english for what i am, in german it is Handwerker,
- handworker doesn't mean anything, handyman is something else.) I
thrive to make good pottery, not art. One definition i thought about,
(which doesn't work for everything either) is, - art represents
something else, craft represents itself. If i paint a picture, make a
sculpture, it will be the picture of something, a sculpture of
something. If i make a teapot, it will be a teapot, if i make a mug, it
will be a mug. Of course then you get potters who make frogs for the
garden, are they artists?
For me, the piece i produce should fulfill the function for which it is
made in the first place, when it is beautiful on top of it, great. If i
make a teapot, it should be good to hold, pour well, the lid shouldn't
fall off when you pour...... whether it is pleasing is up to the eye of
the beholder.

Monika

Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/MSKeramik
if you wish to write me a mail, remove the number from my user name