Old May 31st 05, 06:00 PM
Monika Schleidt

Xtra News wrote:
What do you all think of this article?? Be really interested to hear, do
you like his work. I love it, but it sure is controversial. I listened to
him give a talk a couple months ago. A very interesting man.
Anyway here is the article
http://nzpotters.com/FeatureArticles/GraysonPerry.cfm

I, for one, don't want to be an artist, i am a craftsperson. (there is
no real good word in english for what i am, in german it is Handwerker,
- handworker doesn't mean anything, handyman is something else.) I
thrive to make good pottery, not art. One definition i thought about,
(which doesn't work for everything either) is, - art represents
something else, craft represents itself. If i paint a picture, make a
sculpture, it will be the picture of something, a sculpture of
something. If i make a teapot, it will be a teapot, if i make a mug, it
will be a mug. Of course then you get potters who make frogs for the
garden, are they artists?
For me, the piece i produce should fulfill the function for which it is
made in the first place, when it is beautiful on top of it, great. If i
make a teapot, it should be good to hold, pour well, the lid shouldn't
fall off when you pour...... whether it is pleasing is up to the eye of
the beholder.

Monika

Monika Schleidt

www.schleidt.org/MSKeramik
if you wish to write me a mail, remove the number from my user name