Old November 16th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irrational Number

Default OT v-e-r-y, to the piano players

Polly Esther wrote:

We have a very fine old piano. It's a Steinway. [...]
How do I go about choosing a tuner?

Get a recommendation from a friend. I called
a very reputable dealer here that sells
Mason & Hamlins (my piano of choice) and I
really, really disliked the tuner they
recommended. I looked up the Piano Technician's
Guild website locally and called up another guy,
whom I absolutely love. I've recommended him
to friends, who love him as well. One of these
days, I'm going to get him to rebuild my piano -
he already rebuilt my friend's piano, to great
results.

It may take you a couple of tunings to find
someone you like. If one person doesn't do a
great job, your piano will not suffer for it,
so don't think you have to hit a home run the
first time you get a tuning.

-- Anita --