Old January 12th 04, 03:13 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Linen must be quite damp to press. So, wash your finished piece and
iron while still quite damp. Not dripping wet, but not almost dry.
After washing and thoroughly rinsing, roll up the piece in a thick
towel, squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Let hang 5 minutes or
so, then iron with the linen setting - face down on a well-padded
surface such as a towel folded once or twice. It takes a very hot iron
to press linen. Some modern irons don't get hot enough and it will take
longer.

Quit ironing when steam is still rising. You want *some* moisture left,
you don't want to iron it bone dry. Let it sit. Ironing linen,
especially embroidered linen, takes time.

If you're trying to press while you're still working on it, that is
risky. Ironing can make oils and stains permanent. If it's wrinkled
and you need to work in a wrinkled space, putting it in a hoop or frame
should get those wrinkles out. You might see a "line", but that will
come out in the final process.

If you are leaving the hoop on in one space for months at a time, try
not to do that. It can skew some finer cloths. But for the normal
linen we use for counted work, you shouldn't be having this problem. I
suspect you see the hoop marks and it is scaring you. Never mind them.
They come out in the wash. grin

Dianne

Paula C. Hunter wrote:

Wrinkling it badly, and it is hard to press out. (Maybe I am doing
something wrong, but impossible to iron out is more like it)

Paula

"Olwynmary" wrote in message

It has come to my attention that I need a good, good frame. I have been

using hoops, and that is hell on Linen.

What are hoops doing to your linen? I have used hoops on linen all my

life,

and have never had a problem. In fact, I have a Grip-it (I think that's

the

name) floor stand which holds my hoops so I can work on them two handed.

Just curious.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.