Old July 9th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Glassman

Default and something else now.....( 'splain to me about 'band saws')

"sundog" wrote in message ...
I'm with you on that Mooney.... I don't even like the look of most foiled
projects, so I only use it for structural requirements, say lampshades,
and
very rarely at that. I know I'm just a lead snob, and I get paid well for
it
too.... hahahahahah.... I far prefer the appearance of lead cames. So then
the argument becomes aesthetics, yet I still suspect 99% of craftsmen
still
use foil because it's easy. I use lead because I believe it looks
superior,
justifying the added labor and skill required to do it well.

I doubt that it's 99%... maybe closer to 60%? I do both and I don't find
foil easier in the least. The time it takes to foil each piece is probably a
wash with the soldering time you save with came. It's purely your taste. My
brother was a foil snob, who believed that Tiffany's foiling was the only
way to do anything in glass. He would actually relead old came windows with
foil! In his mind it was an improvement, and he was very successful.

--
JK Sinrod
www.SinrodStudios.com