Old June 29th 10, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

Default OT fire extinguishers?

On Jun 28, 11:17*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
In the dozen years since we've been in the Swamp, there have been 3 home
fires. *This area is so remote that all the fire department can do mostly is
bring sympathy cards.
* * Back when I was gainfully employed we used to have fire drills and
(better yet) lessons from the fire guys to teach us how to use a fire
extinguisher. They actually set the statue of General Somebody ablaze out in
the courthouse front lawn and gave everybody a turn at putting him out.
* * At the time, I was too little to even lift the fire extinguisher down
from its mount. *Couldn't possibly have carried it to a fire.
* * It always delights and comforts me about the far-ranging expertise of
our quilting group. *Anybody know anything about being prepared for a fire?
(And I will tolerate no smart 'coming from afar' quips.) * I really need to
get / know *how to be prepared. *So do you. *Polly

OK, I read the replies posted before mine to avoid repetition.

1. Always hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

2. Review your homeowner's policy. You should have a "replacement
value" policy or rider, or you will get screwed big-time if the worst
happens.

3. See if your local FD will perform home safety inspections/
evaluations for specifics for *your* home. Your insurance company may
perform same, or refer you to someone reputable who can (it's in
*their* best interest).

4. There *should* be *at least* 2 exits from every room in your home -
(usually one door and one window). If not, or you have a second floor
window that does not exit onto a roof, you may have some thinking/
planning to do. As mentioned, your best defenses are smoke/fire
detectors, installed, maintained, and tested properly. Extinguishers
are fine, but don't be stupid - things can be replaced - lives can't.

5. You may need a fireproof safe for important papers (like that
insurance policy, birth certificates, passports, etc.) The idea of
the safe is to protect that stuff so that it will survive the fire
*without* your having to risk your life going in after it. If you did
go after it, it wouldn't be in danger of burning in the first place
(i.e. think things through).

6. Ask if you public library has, or can order, the NFPA Fire
Prevention Handbook; it is The BIBLE - it will have any/all
information you could ever need/want. (Note: cost to buy is
prohibitive) If they can't get it, your FD should have it (but
they'll likely not want it to leave the firehouse - those things are
expensive.) Short of that, most anything/everything you need/want to
know can be found online.

Be Safe,

Doc